chapter one

rewritten

(Luna's first year is this year, I changed the canon a little bit for convenience)

THE PLATFORM

September 1st 1991

September 1st 1991

August sun melted into September skies, the new season rolling over comfortably as the green leaves exploded into fiery reds. The muggles shivered, hugging themselves as they watched hot steam trickle from their lips with every exhale, the puffed clouds common in the early morning dusk. A carpeted sky marked the beginning of the new school year.

Larissa's teeth chattered, but she wouldn't close the window. The street below erupting into a frenzy of crying children, laughing friends, and pompous bankers who hurdled around each other, weaving together between market stalls. Their crazy embroilment calmed the girl as she looked down to them fondly, a cup of tea settled between her pale hands.  Muggles are so peculiar

A whistling gust of wind circled into her bedroom, interrupting her thoughts. She shivered again when the brisk air spiked her skin, wisps of white hair pushing over her face as the city was haunted by an incoming storm.  The window kept open.

Lavender oil, Larissa smelt suddenly, sniffing the air before straightening up. She placed her mug on the windowsill, looking around and sniffing again. It was definitely lavender oil, she thought, a rich scent that flowered her senses and planted mother in the soil of her mind. Mother, who she had not seen in so long. Larissa smiled, albeit confused to the smell, recalling how her mother's skin was often bruised with lavender oil. The girl hummed, standing up with a passing look to the packed trunk on her neatly made bed before skipping down stairs. She followed the smell downstairs, passing a rushed Elijah in the corridor and drifting into the kitchen, where Louis sat red and furious. Lara took no notice, sniffing again as she looked around wordlessly.

Her eyes landed on a candle burning. She rushed to it, analysing it's lilac label with a keen stare and pursed lips.

"That bastard may have beat us last year, but he'd be mistaken to think he can do it again. Fucking Gryffindor. Stupid fucking Gryffindor" Louis mewled from the kitchen table, chewing his lower lip. He was more nervous as he let on for this new school year, for the new quidditch season, but he wouldn't let it show in anything less than pure hatred for the lion's house.

Larissa's eyes remained on the candle as her lips etched into a small smile.

"I was in Gryffindor" Elijah rushed in, clambering to the fridge with heavy footsteps. The man's dark brown curls poked out from behind the door as he searched through the sparse food. Louis shot him a grumpy look, "Exactly and look at you now"