chapter eighteen

STARGAZING WITH THE NEW BOY

LARA'S POV

What Fred and George said would be a "small gathering" was far from. This small gathering turned out to be 200 people squeezing into one tent, then overflowing into the burrow's garden. The stench of alcohol was pungent, my nose wrinkling up in disgust as I weaved through dancing bodies.

My hand was latched in Ella's, who I'd found earlier on in the night when Oliver found Katie and started the dread conversation on quidditch. I decided then and there I'd have to abandon Katie and save myself from Oliver's rants. I hadn't seen him for a couple hours, but spending time with Ella was also just as fun. The sun had completely set now, the tent was bathed in darkness, the only lights coming from the dance floor.

"Bloody hell" Ella groans, stumbling out of the tent. The music had suddenly died down, as if the tent was charmed.

I giggled giddily at her expression, happy with the drink in my hand. I was far from drunk, but still felt giddy.

I exhaled, being hit by the brisk outside air and suddenly being knocked into some sort of clear mindedness, and the feeling of tiredness washed over me. My eyes grew a little heavier, the dancing from not minutes before must have been catching up on me.

"That's better" I smiled lazily up at the dark blue sky above. It was beautiful as it always was. The blue blanket was littered with specks of silver stars that painted the galaxy and illuminated the night sky. The moon was full and bright, my smile widened at that.

"Too sweaty in there!" Ella began, hiccuping before she continued her slur "do you know where Kieran is?!" She rushed up to me, placing her hands on my shoulder, her eyes suddenly desperate.

"I've been with you all night how should I know?" I chuckled at her sudden need to see him, shaking my head.

She let go and huffed, her posture slouched. With that, she trudged off her head whipping around trying to look out for who I was assuming was Kieran.

"Shout if you need me!" I called after her, crossing my arms to stifle to chilly air that raised the hairs on the back of my neck. She didn't turn around, only continued to stumble away. But I knew she heard me from the unladylike grunt that elicited from her pretty mouth.

I turned back to the sky at a standstill for a few more moments, using any energy I had left to take a few further steps away from the tent, trying to escape the smell of alcohol and sweating bodies or drunk wizards and witches. I breathed in through my nose, then out through my mouth, identifying the constellations that paint the sky above me.