Soulmates to Strangers

"Click," Pippa turned the key to her apartment, ready to face the worst. She struggled with her cast, but she managed. Steven sat on the couch watching football and drinking beer. He turned his head when she entered, and his eyes widened when he saw her cast and bruises.

"Pippa! What happened?" He turned off the TV and ran over to her. Her face was numb and emotionless. She wasn't upset anymore. She felt nothing. "Pips?" Steven wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her on the cheek. "Anybody home?"

"What does it look like Steve?" She said sharply, walking across the room. "I was in an accident."

"Pippa oh my god." He started to hug her, but she tore his arms off of her. "Don't touch me!" He looked shocked. "Go away please."

"What the fuck did I do Pippa?"

"You know what you did Steve. You know exactly what you did."

"I hugged you?"

"You cheated on me Steve! And lied about it! I cant believe I thought for even a second that you loved me. You don't treat people you love like that. What was I doing wrong Steve? I thought we were happy. I can't even look at you without crying."

Steven was at a loss for words. He stood there, regretful, as Phillipa grabbed her purse and left the apartment, slamming the door.

"Pips." She heard Steven say loudly. "Can we talk about this calmly please? How did you even find out?" He followed Pippa out into the hallway.

This was the last straw. Pippa couldn't handle it. "How do you think I got hit by a car Steve? Right by central park? I couldn't just stand there and watch you kiss another woman."

"I can explain," he begged.

"Okay go ahead." Pippa said. Steven stood there blankly. "That's what I thought," She continued down the hallway.

"Wait! Don't you still love me?" Steve called.

Pippa turned around slowly. She had begun crying again, as much as she didn't want to. "I don't know."

"I know I love you Pippa. I love you so much. Your my wife! Of course I love you." 

"Did you sleep with her?" Pippa asked. He stood there with no response. She shook her head and turned around, walking away, but before she could he grabbed her and kissed her aggressively. She tried to escape but couldn't. He pushed his tongue into her mouth but she pushed him away at last.

"Don't you feel anything? I love you Phillipa."

Pippa didn't know what to say or do. She wished she could pinch herself and wake up from this awful nightmare, next to Steven in bed. Not this Steven. The kind, loyal Steven that she married. "No." Steve's heart dropped. "I can't do this Steve. You betrayed me. I did love you, but I can never look at you the same way again. It's over. I'm sorry." and with that, she walked down the hall. Steven was crying, realizing the stupid decisions he had made weren't worth losing his true love.