A Day to Celebrate

Pippa woke up in bed to her phone ringing. It was the police. She answered it.

"Hello?" she whispered, yawning, trying not to wake the sleeping Lin beside her. 

"Hi, may I speak to Phillipa?" A deep voice said on the other end.

"Speaking," she whispered.

"We have taken your suspect into custody based on the evidence provided. We further investigate if needed, but for now, everything is under control." 

Pippa sighed in relief, and hung up. She felt that she could finally relax. Lin was awake now, and Pippa told him the news.

"They arrested him." She said softly. Lin looked puzzled.

"Why aren't you more happy?"  He asked. Phillipa's face seemed hollow and emotionless. 

"I don't know. I guess it's hard to believe that someone so close to me would do something so awful." She explained. 

"I know it's hard," Lin said. "But we're safe now. Nothing's going to happen to us. We did it." She slipped a small smile, but still felt guilty. "C'mon," Lin said. "I'll make us a celebratory breakfast." He headed to the kitchen and opened the fridge. Pippa sat at the counter. He pulled out a carton of eggs, and cracked on into a pan, causing a sizzle. Pippa took a deep breath. She didn't need to worry anymore. They were happy. 

"Lin," She said. "I forgot to tell you I'm having a cleaner come here later, because this place is a mess. So we can't come here after the show. But I was thinking maybe we could go out to a restaurant?" 

"Sounds fun!" said Lin. "I'll make the reservation."

Pippa grinned. She really was the luckiest girl in the world. 

That night after the show, she changed into a dress and redid her makeup. She peeked into Lin's dressing room. 

"You ready?" she asked. He sat in his chair, and when he looked up, he almost dropped what he was doing. 

"Woah. You look stunning." he told her. She did. She wore a beautiful black dress with puffy sleeves that billowed around her arms. Her hair was down, like Lin liked it best, she wore black boots with silver zippers, and she was wearing the necklace that Lin bought her. His jaw hung open, in awe of her beauty. 

"Thank you," she blushed. "You look great too." He walked up to her and they kissed. 

"I'm so lucky to have you Pips. I love you so much." Lin bubbled.