Fear and Mystery

Pippa and Lin sat in the diner, catching up and falling in love all over again. Lin never got tired of looking at Pippa. Her warm brown eyes always brought him a sensation of joy and satisfaction. They held hands, and finally they felt that their bond could not be broken. Suddenly, Pippa's phone buzzed.

"Who's that?" Lin asked. 

"It's probably Jazzy," She said. "She's watching Seb today right? We need to pick him up." She glanced at her phone and was overwhelmed with consternation. Lin felt her hand tremble.

Anonymous number: You really thought I was gone? That's funny. I'd be careful if I were you. Wouldn't want either of you getting killed.

The two of them sat for a few minutes in fearful silence. Just when they had begun to think that things would work out for them, it turned back around. Pippa grabbed her bag and left the diner. She needed to breathe. Lin followed, hurriedly writing the check. He turned the corner to find Pippa in the alleyway, tears streaming down her face, sitting against the brick wall. 

"Let's go to my place Pips." She nodded, and he helped her up. They took the subway to Lin's apartment. He made them hot chocolate, and the warm smell wafted through the apartment. The smell of safety. Pippa sat upright on the couch as a million different thoughts buzzed through her mind like a swarm of bees. Lin brought her a mug, and she took a sip, feeling the warmth run through her body as she breathed in and out. Lin lay down on the couch next to her, and gestured for her to snuggle close. They sat there, embracing one another. They were both terrified for their lives, and neither wanted to worry the other, and so they stayed silent. 

"I won't let anyone hurt you," Lin whispered, close enough to Pippa that he could hear her rapid heartbeat. "It'll be fine. We'll call the police."

"They have no way of tracking it Lin. They turned off their caller ID. We're gonna have to figure this out on our own." Lin knew she was right. They had a show that night, and Lin knew that Pippa was going to be afraid to go after the newest text. 

"How?" Lin asked her. 

"I have an idea." Pippa responded softly. "If we get there early, we can ask the tech crew to show us security footage from the blackout. Maybe then we'll be able to identify the culprit." 

"Good idea," Lin said. "I'll call them to let them know." He could feel Pippa shaking, for even after the hot chocolate, it was still freezing. He grabbed a blanket, wrapped it around them, and held her close. 

"It's gonna be ok Pip." He turned her head gently and kissed her. She kissed back. She felt safe in his embrace, for she had missed it over the last week. She knew she could trust him, and that they would figure this out together.