A ring of fire

Love is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery ring
Bound by wild desire
I fell in to a ring of fire

I fell in to a burning ring of fire
I went down down down
And the flames went higher.
And it burns burns burns
The ring of fire
The ring of fire.

The taste of love is sweet
When hearts like ours meet
I fell for you like a child
Oh, but the fire went wild
I fell in to a burning ring of fire

<A ring of fire>
~song by Johny Cash~

******************************************
Hazel couldn't sleep that night. Sitting against the flat top of the small single bed, she looked quite restless as she bit her lower lip, thinking about the girl who had just arrived at Leo's house. Jealousy was something that occurred naturally of course, but she was unable to comprehend why she was being so obsessed with Leo,that just the mere presence of one of his friends had burnt her to the core. Biting her nails, she thought about it over and over again. What was this restlessness? It was clear that she liked Leo, but she has never been so over protective of any boy including her boyfriends. However, this was not the case with Leo. She knew he didn't like her, or at least that was what she had deduced from his dry and straightforward behavior, but she couldn't control her growing desire to be with him. She wanted his heart to belong to her and only her.
It was just like a ring of fire. She was walking into the flames, burning with the desire to achieve Leo, his love, his closeness. It was awful enough that he had a dead girlfriend whose memories were still there in his heart. This seemed so impossible. They were close...under one roof, yet so distant. It was like an ocean of time.....she was drowning once again, Leo was there for her, but he wasn't. He always helped her, but never loved her the other way....she wanted him to be more than just a protective friend....she wanted him to be her guardian, the man whom she could always trust, in whose arms she could feel safe. But these were just bittersweet desires that weren't ever going to be fulfilled.

Sighing deeply, Hazel closed her eyes and let go of every single thought in an attempt to ease her mind. The vibration of her cellphone snapped her to attention. Stretching her hand, she picked up the phone and glanced at the screen.
'Jamie calling'

Sliding the receive button, she instantly took the phone to her ear.
"Hey Jamie!" She squealed in her usual overzealous manner.
"Where are you?" He asked straightforwardly in a stern tone.
"Wh-why?" Hazel stuttered. Something about his voice had sent a shiver down her entire body.
"Just answer my question,
Where...are ....you?" James roared with anger.
Hazel's breath caught as terror seized her.
"I'm at.... Leonardo's house, since no one was at home and I have inso-"
"Shut up! Get out of that place this instant! Go home, I'll send my friend Sally over to stay with you until I return." James cut her mid sentence and began instructing her.
"Jamie... what's wrong with you?" Hazel broke into sobs. Tears streamed from her eyes like tiny waterfalls of crystal clear water.

This person was not the James she knew.

She hadn't remembered a time when James had ever shouted at her. But why was he acting like this now? It wasn't as if she had done a crime.

"Look...Hazel" He sighed and began in a softer tone.
"I can't let you stay at an unknown boy's house. You should have been careful yourself. So please just get out of there."

Hazel wiped her tears and runny nose with the back of her sleeve.
"Alright, I'll go back first thing in the morning tomorrow." Unable to say or listen to anything else, she jabbed her finger with full force on the mobile screen and cut the call.
Circling her arms around her knees, she buried her face into her arms and broke into tears again.
When she had cried for a considerable amount of time and was finally feeling better, she summed up James' words in her mind