An unexpected encounter

The next few days passed away with no unusual events as Hazel tried to drag along in  her boring life. She rarely talked to Leo in  biology class and intentionally avoided his comments,giving him no space to start up a conversation. However, she noticed some peculiar things about Leo. He had a diary on which he occasionally scribbled some unusual characters which apparently looked like korean letters,but there was something about the conspicuously weird pattern in which he wrote. It looked like some journal, with small bullets as though presenting some pieces of information in chronological order.

This was not the only awkward thing about Leo. Hazel often found him randomly walking through hallways, glancing at either sides of the corridor as if he was examining some invisible things that only existed for him. Every time Hazel asked him any questions regarding this uncanny conduct, he either stood silent or changed the topic in a foxy yet vague manner. Hazel was convinced by the end of the week that something was definitely off about this strange, mysterious boy and whatever that may be, she was more than eager to find it.

One early Monday morning, just as Hazel was descending the wooden, spiral staircase of the biology lab, she collided with Ailee White, her nemesis. Hazel considered her a nemesis because she was as the current girlfriend of Eddie, while also being the reason for her breakup.

"Watch it you blind fool!" Ailee hissed through gritted teeth.
Anger bubbled through Hazel's entire body and she thumped Ailee's shoulder.
"Else what huh? What will you do you loser? Run to Eddie? Cry for help? Just what is your problem!" She screamed.

"Why you little-" Ailee said and taking a step forward, she landed a hard punch on Hazel's face. Lurking to the side, Hazel struggled to maintain her balance but fell to the ground,hitting hard on the concrete floor.

"See who's the loser here?" Ailee raised her brow.
"You jerk!" Hazel got up and pulled Ailee by her collar.

"Let go or else!"
"Else what?" Hazel shouted and kicked Ailee in the stomach. Ailee stumbled back but regained her balance in a fraction of a second. She guestured her friends to seize Hazel. Three girls came forward and grasped her hands in an iron grip. Ailee smiled viciously and landed three straight blows on Hazel's stomach while she cried in pain.

"Agh!"
"Ouch!"
"No sto-stop!"
But Ailee continued to kick her and finally slapped her hard across the face; the girls instantly let go of her as Hazel landed on the floor, face first. Her nose and mouth began to bleed as she coughed violently.

"Jerk"
"Coward"
"Don't mess with me again loser!" Ailee yelled and strode off.

The corridor was empty like always as the lab was at the far end where there were rarely any students or teachers in the morning. Hazel lay there shaking with pain, her eyes filled with tears, as the seconds ticked by.
Moments later she heard faint footsteps. She tried to get up but a wave of pain shot through every inch of her body, and she began to cough again .

Not surprisingly, as the stranger came into view, Hazel could do nothing more than try to hide her face.
"Are you okay?" Leo shouted in a concerned voice as he rushed over to her.

"Oh my- what happened Hazel!?" He asked worriedly.
Helping her up, he sat her to the nearest bench.

"Here" he said, giving her a tissue.
Hazel silently wiped her blood, being embarrassed as she was, studiosly avoiding Leo's gaze.

"Water," he said after a while.
Hazel took the glass and gulped slowly. Then she took a deep breath.

"Thank you Leo," she smiled grimly.
There was something captivating in his ocean blue eyes that held her gaze. She had never seen this side of Leo before. He looked so caring, so protective and polite. Before this unexpected encounter, Leo always had his guard up, carrying a stiff expression on his face all the time, which was nowhere to be seen at this moment.

Leo smiled back, and sat beside her

"What happened?" He questioned.

"Nothing much" Hazel said casually,but the harshness returned to her voice.

Leo took a deep breath.

"Even if you don't tell me, let me just clarify that I saw everything."

Hazel lifted her head instantly, and glared at Leo.

"Then why didn't you come to help me you jerk!" She shouted and moved forward,aiming to hit him but he softly grasped her hands and pulled her into a hug.She didn't resist him and lay her head against his body. Time froze as Hazel lay her head on Leo's chest, while he softly patted her head and shoulders, and whispered,

"It's okay, you are fine. Relax."

The coolness of his breath dissolved in her entire body as she sat still, crying silently without any sound while he tightened his grip around her.
Seconds passed away...
Minutes ticked by ....

The buzzing of the school bell pulled Hazel out of this trance. She instantly shook Leo's hands off. But this time she didn't say a word and ran away, feeling extremely embarrassed.

Of all people, She just had to break down in front of Leo. Great. Just perfect. Now all her impression was ruined in Leo's eyes .

Leo watched her go with thoughtful eyes filled with intense emotions. Then he got up and shook his head.

"What are you doing Leo! Focus."
He told himself.

Why am I being lured to her like a magnet? Why is she so beautiful?

Leo thought on the way to class.