The boy from the past

Hazel sat in the library, quietly reading a novel when James approached her.
"Heya Haze!" He called.
Hazel instantly lifted her head, surprise clearly glimmering in her eyes.

"Jamie!"She nearly shouted as she hugged him.
"How have you been?" He asked
"I nearly forgot that I had a brother," Hazel rolled her eyes." When did you return?" She asked.
"Just last night, you were asleep so I decided not to wake you up, and I wanted to surprise you." he admitted with a naughty smile.
"So how was the exchange student program? Did you enjoy studying in California?".
"It was totally awesome dude. I have loads to tell you, but at home," he winked.
"Alright," Hazel shrugged.

"So how's school going?" James asked
"As always, it's boring", Hazel replied honestly.

"On the way to library I heard a bunch of students gossiping that you broke up with Eddie. How true is that?" James questioned after a pause.

Hazel lifted her head in frustration and sighed.

"So that means it is true!" James sounded angry.
"I'll break the bones of that Eddie!"

"No wait Jamie!" Hazel nearly shouted.

"Quiet you two" the librarian warned while glaring at them from across her desk.

"Fine. Yes,I broke up with Eddie." Hazel admitted.
"You...but ...but why?" James asked, taken aback.

"Because he ain't my type! He gets his way every time. I need some time alone," Hazel replied dryly.

"Okay but..."
James stopped abruptly and took out his phone that was buzzing softly.
"Yeah? Oh hello Laura. You are here? Aright, I'm coming down."

"What?" Hazel asked.

"Laura is waiting for me so I gotta go. But this conversation is not over yet. You've still got an explanation to give me at home." James reminded and slung his backpack over his shoulder.

Hazel sat in the library, staring into space when she saw him walk inside. Her jaw clenched and she balled up her fists as Leo sat on the chair opposite to her.

"What do you want?" Hazel  said, feeling annoyed.

"Hazel can you please stop being idiotic for once?" Leo pleaded.

Hazel's gaze travelled from his face to his hand and something struck her. Leo was wearing a silver bracelet with two balls hanging from it.On one ball, the letter "L" was scribbled while the second ball contained the letter "H".
No way! Hazel blinked.
A flashback appeared before her eyes.
Two children were sitting by the lake, one being a blonde girl with emerald eyes and the other being a boy with tousled brown hair and ocean blue eyes. The girl stretched out her hand, holding a silver bracelet with two balls of letters H and L hanging from it.

"Here you go Leo. My gift for you, to always remember that only Hazel is your best friend. This bracelet will never let you forget me."

The boy stretched out his wrist and the girl fastened the bracelet to it.

"I will be leaving soon Hazel. But I will never forget you, even if distance parts us. I will return to you one day....wait for me...."

The memories faded like a cloud of dust and Hazel looked at Leo.

"What?" Leo asked, surprised.

"You are that Leo?"
"You finally recognize me" Leo smiled

"Hello?" Leo snapped,waving his hand in front of Hazel, pulling her out of her thoughts.

Well of course he couldn't be that Leo! stupid imagination.

Hazel thought mindlessly as she looked at the silver bracelet wrapped around Leo's wrist.

"What do you want Leo?" She asked sharply.

"Well what I want is this." Leo pointed towards a stack of of books piled on the table.

"What?" Hazel looked clueless.

"Our biology research project, Duh! Are you acting or were you always like this?" Leo continued,looking disappointed.

"Yeah so mister smarty pants why don't you do the project alone? Shall I talk to Ms Jamison for you? That you want your partner to be changed?" Hazel said frantically between deep breaths,her face going red with anger.

"Hey hey, easy there!" Leo raised his hands in the air.
"I don't know what your problem is but why are you always so rude?" He said, now a bit politely.

"Well actually....I don't know and who are you to ask!" Hazel pointed her finger at Leo.
"Mind your own business, got it?" She stubbornly arched her eyebrow, looking at him angrily, flames flickering in her huge emerald eyes.

"Yes about the business...here are some books that I picked out for you to help you in your part of research, take them and do your part."

With that Leo got up. Just as he was about to walk away, he turned and said,
" And I gave you my number because you might want to discuss the project on WhatsApp...well if that's okay with you."
Shoving his hands in his jacket, he stomped off.

"Gosh that jerk!" Hazel hissed through gritted teeth. But one thing was still stuck in her head. Where did Leo get a bracelet so similar to the one that she once gave to her best friend. And was it just a coincidence that his name was also Leo. As much as she tried to avoid it, there was something strange about Leo. Whenever Hazel was around him, she felt a weird and unusual sensation. However,she was unable to comprehend what it was. And she had no idea about the adventure that awaited her. There was something about Leo that was just not right.