Broken Soul

Aurora's mind had stopped screaming why, instead she was now asking herself, when?
When had this happened?
Perhaps on one of his many trips to London, maybe some of his business adventures had been a lie to keep Aurora from knowing but in her heart she truly didn't believe it to be so. Surely Tommy wouldn't have done this while with her yet they had never been apart and Tommy, to her knowledge had always been devoted to her despite the love he still held for Grace.
Then Aurora remembered something.
They had been apart, only the once when Tommy sent her away back to Middlesbrough after thinking it was the right thing to do to protect her from Campbell.
Had Tommy lied to Aurora in order to see Grace but why was Grace back in England?
While she had been breaking her heart at home, wondering if he was coming back to her, had Tommy been with Grace?
The more Aurora questioned herself the more she became confused and unable to make sense of the situation. She needed answers and the only person she could get them from was Tommy himself. It wouldn't do her good to form the answers to fit her own narrative, she needed the real truth and if she had to throttle Tommy in order to get them, she would.

People were still celebrating around her as Aurora finally picked herself up off the floor and dusted off her dress. It was time for her to leave and head back to Ada's house where she would wait for Tommy. She wondered if he would go to Grace first or her but what if he didn't make it?
Aurora couldn't leave Grace here, unaware of what was happening yet as she begin to walk Aurora found herself unable to turn back. Truthfully she didn't want to see Grace again, she didn't want to see her perfect hair and beautiful face or the dress that was hiding the stomach which carried Tommy's child inside. Aurora wiped her eyes furiously and releasing a shaky breath she willed herself to get over her upset for now while she tried to find her way back to the entrance. Truthfully she hadn't taken care to remember certain spots in order to be able to find her way round and now Aurora was lost and wishing she'd never step foot in Epsom. She always knew nothing good would come from it yet she had came anyway and was filled with nothing but regret.

"Lizzie?" Aurora whispered rubbing her eyes in disbelief as she caught sight of a familiar silhouette in the distance. Aurora could recognise her friend anywhere even if she was facing away, no woman had a neck as long and as elegant as her Lizzie did but what was she doing here?
Tommy had given Lizzie control over the office for the day, Aurora knew this because she had dared lizzie to tape string around Tommy's office. Lizzie was hunched over in a chair, her shoulders shaking which quickly sparked concern in Aurora. Forgetting her own troubles, Aurora ran in Lizzie's direction with a yell.
"Lizzie! Lizzie!"
Hearing Aurora's voice, Lizzie snapped her head up and saw her friend rushing towards her, her eyes swelled with tears that matched her own. Lizzie had wished she didn't have to lay her eyes upon another Shelby today but seeing Aurora brought Lizzie more relief than she could of hoped for. Giving Aurora a sad reassuring smile, Lizzie waited for her and tried her best to keep her tears at bay. She wanted nothing more to weep within Aurora's arms yet it seemed as if she wasn't the only one who was suffering.
What had happened to Aurora?
"Aurora, I didn't know you were coming" Lizzie muttered, clearing her throat, watching Aurora take the chair next to her that John had just occupied. Both him and Arthur had been in good cheer and Lizzie couldn't bring herself to truly tell John what had happened.
"Neither did I but here I am. Lizzie, what are you doin' 'ere? I thought you were taping string around the office" Aurora questioned reaching out her hand and covering Lizzie's with it. Now she was sat, Aurora took in Lizzie closely, her wild hair, red eyes and the roughness of her pretty dress caused Aurora's heart to leap. It looked like someone had grabbed at the front of Lizzie's delicate white dress and tried to pull it from her body. Her face was also littered with small harsh bruises which told Aurora something horrible had happened today.
"Lizzie, what's 'appened?" Aurora whispered, her face filled with alert and worry.
"Nothin', it's nothin', Tommy had me 'ere to work" Lizzie replied with a small shrug, pulling her face away from Aurora so she didn't reveal the truth under Aurora's sweet gaze.
"Work?! What fucking work?! Lizzie you're covered in bruises, why?" Noticing Lizzie's reluctance to look at her, Aurora gently cupped Lizzie's face and forced her to look "What work Lizzie?" Aurora ordered sternly, her eyes growing dark momentarily before softening as Lizzie began to cry.