Aunt Polly

"Who the fuck are you?!"
Aurora sat, mouth gaping in shock as she stared at the furious woman in front of her. Seconds ago Aurora had been wishing for company, any type of company except this wasn't what she expected. Scared would be word for her feelings at this moment, she didn't dare move or breathe. Horror ran through Aurora as her eyes trailed to the pin held tightly within the strangers hand.
Was she going to use it on her?
Where the fuck was Tommy?

"I won't ask you again, who are you?!" Polly demanded taking a few steps forwards and pointing the pin towards Auroras face.
"I'm...A..A..Aurora" Aurora stammered, chest heaving slightly, her fear had reached tipping point.
"Aurora what?"
"Hayes, Aurora Hayes"
Aurora finally let out a deep breath as the woman pulled the pin away from her face and placed it back within her dark curls.
"Your Anne's youngest" Polly stated not needing an answer, it was obvious from the girls golden eyes that she was a Hayes and now her anger had vanished Polly finally recognised the baby she had helped deliver all them years ago.
"Yes that's me, who are you?" Aurora questioned placing a friendly smile on her face, she didn't want to get on this woman's bad side again.
"Polly, Polly Gray love" Polly smirked back before going to the bar window "Harry, my gin please"

"Ah the matriarch of the Shelby family!" Aurora's eyes grew wide with excitement, this was Polly!
Staring up at the woman Aurora felt mesmerised, this woman was the definition of strength and power. In this men led world Polly had the ability to over rule them all and bring them into line especially the Shelby men. Aurora imagined her and Tommy clashed quite often but as a team they were a force to be reckoned with.
"I think I like you already Aurora" Polly winked bringing to the table two glasses and a bottle of dry gin "I remember your Mam waited nine years to have you and your brother Henry after having Jane. She always wanted another girl and when she got pregnant with you, we prayed together daily that you wouldn't turn out like your sister"
"I think me mam still prays for that" Aurora giggled accepting a glass of Polly with a thankful nod.
"How is Jane?"
"Married now with four kids, he's an older man, twenty years older and completely clueless to her affairs"
"I see she hasn't changed since she was a teenager" Polly muttered shaking her head and taking a long drink.
"If anything it's worse now" Aurora shrugged looking into her glass as she spun the liquid around.

"Finn tells me you're Tommy's new woman" Polly raised an eyebrow at Aurora causing the young girl to choke.
Instead of spitting up the gin she was now choking on, Aurora swallowed it painfully. The accusation in Polly's eyes set her on edge, she wasn't Tommy's woman yet why did she feel like she was holding a secret that didn't need to be told.
"I'm not, Finn caught me sleeping on Tommy's shoulder at the Lee fire, he thought we were fucking or going to fuck"
"And are you?"
"Me and Tommy just talk" Aurora smiled innocently causing Polly to break out in laughter.
Tommy didn't talk especially to a beautiful woman without needing information or a simple fuck. Polly could see it already, he was going to hurt this girl. It pained Polly to say but he was still in love with Grace and whatever he wanted from Aurora was different then what she wanted. Aurora liked Tommy, it was clear from the way her eyes lit up at his name and they way her cheeks turned rosy.

"What do you talk about?" Polly teased lightly, she didn't want to upset the girl but Tommy wasn't a talker.
"Everything really, War, businesses, horses, his rudeness, my terrible attempts at being nosey.....he also gives good advice, he's helped me" Aurora murmured suddenly wanting to slide under the table and hide, she knew Polly was having a hard time believing her but Aurora had no clue as to what to say.

"Let me give you some advice Aurora, having a man like Tommy is tough and if you're going to survive, you have to fight tooth and nail. If this is heading where I think it is, I can't stop you but you must know Tommy's heart belongs to another, you'd do well to protect your own" Polly leaned forwards, whispering sternly at Aurora while petting her hand.