Alfie Solomons

Aurora paused outside his bedroom door and wrapped her already tied dressing gown around her shivering frame, holding onto it tightly as if it were the only thing keeping her safe. She'd wanted to come here after finding another nightmare to unbearable to stay in that room by herself. There was a soft golden glow seeping out from underneath the door, he was awake, he was always awake. Aurora knew he needed rest but seeing the light coming from his room at night gave her more comfort than the house did when it was in total darkness. Deciding that she hadn't came all this way for nothing, Aurora lifted her hand and softly knocked on the door.
"Took your time knockin' mouse" She heard him call out from the other side and gripping the doorknob she quietly opened the door and stepped inside with a small frown.
"How did you know it was me?" Aurora asked meekly peering over at the bed to see sat upon looking frustrated and surrounded by work. She knew why he was frustrated, he was having a hard time reading. Ever since the accident Tommy's vision had worsened especially when it came to reading things up close. He could see everything from a distance, hell the man could spot a spy on a horses head but if that fly were to come close to his face, his vision would become out of focus. Aurora had joked that it was time for Tommy to get glasses and while she may have done it in good humour her statement was nothing but truthful much to Tommy's dismay.

"I could hear your breathing from behind the door, it always gets deeper when you're troubled" Tommy answered putting aside his work for a moment whilst he turned his attention to the dark haired woman standing in his room. She was looking more tired with each day that passed, they all were, allowing themselves to sleep peacefully was not a luxury they were to receive anytime soon.
Walking over to his bed, Aurora threw herself down by his side and let out a sigh of annoyance.
"I don't know if it's this prophecy, this house or me but ever since I got 'ere I've had the same nightmare over and over except it gets worse with each fucking night that passes"
"And what happens? What do you see?" Tommy questioned, intrigued to know if their nightmares were similar in any way hearing Aurora's last breath spinning around in his mind like it did throughout the day. It would drown out the ticking and Tommy in his misery had found himself missing the familiar tick that used follow him.
"I see me in a dark room struggling to breathe, fighting for my life but I never survive.....I always die, alone and scared and as I stand over my body I hear a voice in my ear telling me he's comin'. His footsteps grow louder and louder the closer he gets to the room but I never see him, I always wake up before my vision can focus" Aurora explained leaving out the part where she saw Charlie too. She didn't want to tell Tommy that it wasn't just her death haunting her now but also the death of his child.

Tommy kept his face blank and unreadable as he came to a decision. He knew what it was like to watch her struggling to breathe, he knew what it was like to watch her die but rather than confess to Aurora that they were having similar dreams Tommy decided he would keep the information to himself because it would terrify her further and that was something he didn't want to do. They were already both on edge, there was no reason to push her further over it. Tomorrow he would increase the security around Aurora but for now it was important that he eased her mind.
"Love" Tommy started, letting out a small yawn before he continued "Your nightmares are fuelled by what's on your mind at the time. During the war you told me you dreamt of your Dad's death, sometimes each of your brothers. After the war you witnessed a kid throw himself in front of a train, you then dreamt of Bill. You've still been havin' nightmares about losing Lewis until you came to stay here. Now that you are in fear of your own life you see your own death and you will continue to unless the threat is disposed of, which it will be"
"I suppose you're right....as always" She grumbled in return resting her head on her knees as she looked at him begrudgingly. For the first time in a while Aurora found herself not wanting to leave Tommy's bedroom. She felt comfortable beside him, she felt at ease and that feeling of blissful peace would only leave her when she stepped back into the dark hall outside. It was warm in this room just like Charlie's nursery.