Sabini

"You look confused" Mrs Paul pointed out taking in the girls muddled look as she stared of into the distance. Mrs Paul was worried she had fallen into a state of shock. The girl hadn't moved from the bed since finding out the news. Usually the women who came to Mrs Paul got their answer and left except for those few who wanted the pregnancy terminated to allow their 'work' to continue or simply because they weren't in a position to have a child. It was heartbreaking but Mrs Paul never held any form of judgement, it wasn't her place to tell a woman what she should do with her body.
"I am yet M'not, why would I miss me bleeding?" Aurora pondered, her face falling into a frown.
Why was she so surprised she wasn't pregnant? Aurora had an inkling from the start that she wasn't but she had let her thoughts run wild and make her worry that she was.
"The body works in mysterious way darling" Mrs Paul chirped giving Aurora a reassuring smile.
"But I 'aven't missed a bleeding since.....since Henry's death" Aurora confessed mournfully, standing up from the bed and brushing down her skirt. It was time to go.
"A lover?" Mrs Paul enquired fixating all her attention on the strange girl, pity filling her.
"No, brother..he died in the war" Aurora replied, memories of her Mam's screams filling her head as her and Jane held each other on the stairs, they knew something bad had happened but in that moment they weren't sure as to how bad it would be.

"Has there been anything of late causing your body and mind to feel an extended amount of stress?" Mrs Paul asked causing Aurora to shake her head.
"None more than usual"
"What's the usual for you dear?"
Aurora hated when people pried into her life, it was what had make her dislike Tommy at first but seeing the caring look in Mrs Paul's eyes Aurora knew her prying was coming from a good place. Even though she was a nice woman, it wouldn't do Aurora well to open up to a stranger. Trust was hard to find especially when there were people willing to pay to learn the secrets someone had slipped up in a moment of despair.

"Nightmares, death, family issues, London" Aurora shrugged absent minded, wanting nothing more than to escape from the room and go back to Small Heath where she could continue to teach the children how to read.
"London?" It was now Mrs Paul's turn to be confused. To her it appeared the girl had some deep rooted issues that couldn't be dealt with. Everyone experience stress, there was no cure other than to move on with life and block out the things that were troubling you.
Humming in confirmation, Aurora gave Mrs Paul a smile and made her way towards the door.
"Thank you for takin' the time to see me, I appreciate all your help but I must get going. We'll see ourselves out. Good day to you a Mrs Paul"
Giving a quick nod of her head, Aurora opened the door and escaped into the main room where Polly was waiting, a cigarette in her mouth as she sat in a chair and stretched out her ankles. Hearing the door open Polly turned her head and seeing Aurora, got out her chair and gave her an expectant look.
"Well?"
"No baby, M'not pregnant" Aurora announced breathing out what was mixed between a sigh of relief and disappointment.

Hearing Aurora's results they both gave each other a look that said 'let's get out of here' and in silence they both made their way back outside and into the street.
"So, are you disappointed?" Polly wondered as the walked towards the car, their arms wrapped tightly around their frames as the air grew colder and the wind grew stronger.
"No maybe after London, M'not in any rush to 'ave children" Aurora admitted softly brushing away the image of a sweet babe looking up at her with Tommy's eyes.
"There's a lot happening after London" Polly muttered under her breath thinking about the ring Tommy apparently had for Aurora. She hoped he was being truthful and that he did have plans to propose otherwise Polly would not be held accountable for her actions.
"Ooo and what might that be Polly?" Aurora giggled, teeth chattering as she did so and her frozen cheeks aching at the sudden movement in her face.
"It's not for me to tell you but you'll know when it happens" Polly smirked sending Aurora a wink.