Stranger

"Why green?"

Aurora watched Teddy mess with his emerald tie through the mirror of her vanity for a moment before staring at the green silk glimmering through the black and gold lacing of her dress. They were matching just as they planned to but Aurora wasn't sure if she told him it was because she liked the colour or because she'd purposely picked it out to spite Thomas Shelby after his remarks last week. He would be at the club tonight and Aurora had the sudden urge to torment him until she had the last laugh. Smiling softly through her mirror at Teddy, she brushed Tommy from her mind and brought her hand up to cup the green stone resting around her neck.

"I wanted to show off your gift and I thought green and gold would match it perfectly" She finally answered feeling her smile grow impossibly wide as he beamed with pride at her words. She wondered how she'd been blessed to have such a great man in her life and Aurora wanted to make sure she did everything in her power to keep a smile on his face and make him happy.
"You flatter me tulip" Teddy replied cheekily and Aurora found herself resisting the urge to laugh. She wasn't the only one who wanted to spite Tommy. Tulip was the name Teddy had given her after finding out it was Tommy's preferred flower for her, the flower he'd gifted her so many times in the past.
Aurora just hoped tonight would go smoothly and there wouldn't be any awkward run ins. She hadn't told Teddy that Tommy believed he should go fuck himself, not because she dreaded a fight but because Teddy was too kind to involve himself with the Peaky Blinders and Aurora didn't want him to feel unwelcome. Aurora was certain she'd be the one to fight if Tommy dared to hurt Teddy in anyway.

"You deserve all the flattery" Aurora humoured getting up from her chair and walking over to Teddy. Taking his tie in her hands she took pity on him and carefully began to tie it until it fitted just as perfectly as his suit "There, finally ready"
Bending down, Teddy gratefully kissed Aurora's cheek and placed an arm around her waist, pulling her into a light but sweet embrace.
"We look smashin' tulip, I dare say we're the best dressed couple of the night"
"Now don't get your hopes up Teddy, George and Mrs Finley could give us a run for our money" Aurora giggled knowing too well that Mrs Finley dragged poor George out for a new shiny suit to match her forever extending wardrobe. Mrs Finley dressed to impress whenever she went whether it be a club opening night or going into town for a spot of shopping.
"Why do they have to beat us at everything? It's extremely unfair" Teddy pouted in false pretence appearing like a wounded puppy.
"Because they've had years of practice but maybe if we head out now we can steal the show for a moment before they arrive" Aurora suggested with a mischievous smirk as she pulled herself away from Teddy and grabbed her purse from the bed. She was incredibly excited after waiting so long for the club to open again. She still didn't agree that the renovations were necessary but there was nothing to be done now, she just had it be glad that was finally opening. She prayed Tommy had kept his word and wasn't planning to let it turn into some betting brothel because she would burn the whole place to the ground in protest. Her family's name was in that club and if she had to destroy it she would.
"Brilliant plan tulip! Let's go you're wasting precious time!"
"Me?!" Aurora exclaimed accepting his outstretched hand, allowing him to pull her from the bedroom and down the stairs towards the door "You're the one who couldn't do his own fucking tie!"
"Language tulip, we're goin' to a fucking fancy event and I will have no swearing unless our drinks aren't free.....then we swear" Teddy stated, his face a mask of seriousness. His drink was very important to him, the true love of his life being a glass of red wine but he would never confess to it he pretended to favour whiskey more despite his deep hatred of it. Men were truly strange creatures.
"You're expecting free drinks Teddy?" Aurora hummed, shivering as the cold from the outside hit her with a wicked slap sending her into Teddy's side for warmth. Closing her front door, they began the small walk to the club, both regretting their choices to not wear a coat after believing the walk too short for them. It would be ok, they'd be in the warmth of the club in no time with the sound of music pleasantly tickling their ears as they filled themselves with drink.
"Your name is above the door, it would be a crime if the drinks weren't to be free"
"If they're not you'll 'ave to take it up with the Peaky Blinders, their name is above the door too" Aurora remarked watching Teddy's face fall into a mask of horror. No one liked dealing with the blinders but Teddy didn't have to worry, Aurora would protect him and slap those razor caps straight off their heads.
"As long as they only take me eyes and not me tongue, how would I ever make orders at the bar if it's gone? How would I sing you to sleep with my angelic voice? How would I talk? Oh I can't bear to think about it!" Teddy wailed with a small snicker, throwing his hand up to clutch at his chest. A world without his voice was not a world he wanted to live in.
"You not singing me to sleep? Sounds like heaven if you ask me" Aurora sighed blissfully earning her a sharp elbow to the ribs causing a stream of giggles to slip from her ruby coloured lips.
"You're an evil woman tulip, very evil"