Over

Warning - potential tissue needed, maybe

Aurora was running late. Polly had told her to be here by six yet Aurora hadn't left the house until half six and the time it took for the driver to reach Polly's new house made Aurora late by an hour, maybe more. Tommy was at May's house checking in on the horse having left earlier in the day and Aurora feeling too tired had refused his invitation to go. She loved May's house and she liked May greatly yet Aurora couldn't bring herself to leave the comfort of her own bed. Aurora had stayed in the bed for the whole day until Polly's invite to dinner sprung into her mind and Aurora found herself running around the room trying desperately to get ready on time. It wasn't often the family had time in the day to spend with one another with Epsom soon approaching, everyone was too busy and to distract herself from the upcoming event Aurora had began her studies to become a teacher. It seemed to be going well but it was tiring and she was missing Tommy. Soon it would all be over and they could hit the road and finally breathe air that wasn't filled with smoke.

Holding the bottle of wine up to her chest Aurora grabbed the handle of Polly's door and slowly opened it to peak inside.
"Hello Miss Hayes" Greeted the maid who Aurora had come to known as Hilda. She was a sweet girl around the same age as Aurora herself. John had taken a particular fancy to the woman and appeared at Polly's a lot more than usual. Esme would have his balls if she knew the reason why but so far John had managed to keep it in his pants, Hilda was a respectable woman and would not give in to his Shelby charm which is why Aurora liked her.
"Evenin' Hilda, you orright?" Aurora smiled allowing Hilda to help her from her coat as she balanced the wine in her hands.
"Quite alright thank you Miss. Mrs Gray and Mr Gray are in the dining room. We've been given orders not to serve until you arrived" Hilda informed Aurora gently folding her coat in her arms and gesturing towards the dining room.
"I best not keep them waitin', thank you Hilda" Aurora chirped giving Hilda a grateful look before heading into the dining room hoping her bottle of wine was enough for Polly not to throttle her for being so late.

"You're late" Polly pointed out with a humorous roll of her eyes as Aurora entered the room with a sheepish grin.
"Sorry Pol, sorry Michael. I brought wine" Aurora sang shaking her bottle like it was the cure for all illnesses.
"It's alright sweetheart, you're always late which is why I gave you the wrong time instead of telling you to come for half seven" Polly smirked lifting her glass up and nodding at Aurora.
"What? M'not always late Pol!" Aurora protested as she opened the wine and began to pour Polly a large glass. Aurora wasn't a fan of it herself but it made Polly delirious with happiness.
"You are" Michael laughed with a shake of his head watching Aurora gasp in false offence.
"The cheek of it!" Aurora cried out also pouring Michael a glass of wine before she took her seat next to Polly and placed a kiss upon her cheek.
"Now that you're here we can say grace and eat" Polly announced with a scoff as she noticed the look Aurora and Michael shared with one another "You're both in my house so you'll bloody well say grace or you won't be eating"
"Orright Pol, we'll say grace, M'so hungry" Aurora grumbled as her stomach roared to life threatening Aurora to not refuse grace and keep it from whatever beautiful food Polly had prepared.
Bowing her head Aurora brought her hands together and waited for Polly to begin with a small smile on her face. She loved having dinner with her family, she loved being around them, it was these moments that made their world seem normal and utterly peaceful.

"So Michael" Aurora began as she swallowed down the roast potatoes she had stuffed in her mouth "You've been working for Tommy for some time now, how are you finding it?" She questioned with a smile, remembering the praise Tommy had showered on the boy when spoke about him to her. Michael had quickly became one of Tommy's best workers. He smart, hardworking and did far more than any other of Tommy's workers with the exception of Lizzie who worked just as hard.
"I love it, it's finally gave me something to do. I don't feel bored anymore waiting for something impossible to happen like I used to in the village" Michael replied looking as if the world had fallen nicely into his hands. Aurora was happy for him, happy that he was back in the family and happy his was thriving alongside them.
"I understand, it's why I joined the family business at first. I was bored, I wanted to do somethin' especially after the war, it was a great distraction from losing Henry and it just made sense to be by me Dads side and help until everythin' became steady again" Aurora exclaimed remembering the day she had decided to stop hiding and March into her family's office and demand her Dad hire her.
"When do you plan on leaving? You've began your studies haven't you?" Michael enquired taking a sip of his drink as Aurora beamed at him.
"Yes I have and I suppose I'll leave when me studies are finished or if M'offered a placement within one of the schools nearby until the new one has been built. I can't imagine it will be anytime soon, perhaps in two years or so" Aurora shrugged and placing her cutlery onto her plate she leaned back in her chair and let out a sigh feeling completely stuffed from all the food packed in her stomach.
"A Shelby, a teacher? who would have thought? It's incredible!" Polly sniffled, her eyes sparking with unshed tears as she looked upon the young adults in the room. They had a chance none of the others had and Polly was overwhelmed with pride.
"Oh Pol don't cry!" Aurora giggled grabbing Polly's hand that rested on the table and giving it a squeeze.
"I can't help it, you two are just something else you know that" Polly laughed holding Aurora's hand just as tightly while using her free hand to reach across the table and take Michael's.