Duchess

"Tulip! M'telling you the paint is not blending!" Teddy exclaimed turning to look at Aurora's canvas with a harsh glare.
Why was hers going so great?
They'd only just begun but already Aurora's painting appeared magical where his appeared a mess of thick clumps of already drying paint. He'd followed her step by step and her the differences between the two canvases were quite extreme and always to look at.
"You 'ave to take your time building up the layers. If you put too much paint on and try to blend it's not going to work" Aurora sighed picking up a clean paintbrush and offering it out to him "Here! Put your brush down and begin blending with a clean one. You're doing nothing but pushing globs of paint around"
"How do people even like doin' this?!"
Aurora laughed feeling his frustration as he whipped his paint brush aggressively across the canvas, no longer caring for precision. What was meant to be a peaceful Sunday morning had turned into one of disappointment and aggravation. It coding much to work up Teddy, he had a surprisingly short temper and Aurora loved to watch it implode.
"It's relaxing, helps ease the mind and soul" Aurora turned back to her, shaking her head at the monstrosity standing in front of Teddy.
"I don't feel relaxed tulip, me soul is crying" Teddy mourned dropping his paintbrush into the pot of water before sitting back and watching Aurora with a grin, she was too wonderful. He loved spending the weekends with her, it was his favourite part of the week. Teddy would work like a dog day in and day out with a smile on his face knowing he would only have to make it through to Friday until he saw her face again.
"Well since your soul is crying you won't mind picking up the phone for me will you?" Aurora hummed hearing the telephone echoing throughout the house. She was so close to finishing her last layer, she couldn't move now. Aurora made a decision there and then to always pull her telephone out while she was painting to stop people from interrupting. No one ever seemed to call when she was free and after such a stressful week Aurora could of happily went without hearing from anyone at all.
"Of course Madam! Continue as you were!" Teddy chirped quickly kissing the side of Aurora's head as he jumped up and left the lounge, relieved to be away from the dreadful mess he'd tried to paint.

Knowing she didn't have long, Aurora hurried to finish with her nerves on edge knowing her quickness could lead to a mistake. To her relief she'd gotten lucky and letting out the breath she'd been holding she dropped her paintbrush into the water and wiped her hands down her pinny.
"Tulip! It's Linda!" Teddy called out, surprising Aurora who jumped down from her stool and headed towards the door. Linda never called, it was always Arthur and normally it was because he needed help or just someone to talk to as he battled between choosing his brothers and Linda. It wasn't so much the issue of choosing his brothers but choosing the life they led. Arthur was trying to come away from all the blood and violence yet he never got far enough before Tommy sent him out on another job.
"Good morning Linda" Aurora chirped accepting the phone off Teddy who headed back into the lounge to give her some privacy.
"Good morning Aurora, Arthur was meant to call you before he left to go hunting today with his brothers so I have to do it instead. We wanted to know if you would like to stay at ours for the night? Arthur and I have some news and thought it would be a good idea for you to get out of Middlesbrough for a bit" Linda replied, her voice telling Aurora her answer had to be yes if she didn't want God to strike her down for refusing.
"Ok Linda I'll pack a bag and come down" Aurora nodded to herself with a frown as she wondered how she was going to break the news to Teddy without disappointing him. The weekends were the only time they got with each other and now Aurora would have to cut it short but Arthur and Linda had news making her feel inclined to go.
"Come for six, I'm joining a protest down at the bullring today and won't be home until later in the evening"
"You protesting at the bullring? Why?" Aurora laughed trying to imagine Linda amongst a protest especially a protest that ended in violence, the poor woman would be scarred.
"For women being made to work on a holy day, for being made to work in unfit conditions and receiving lesser pay based on sex. All oppressed females are welcome" Linda explained seeming excited to be a part of something and if Aurora was still in Birmingham she would of swiftly joined her, she loved a good cause after all
"I wish you the best of luck Linda, you should recruit the girls at the betting shop to irritate Thomas. He won't appreciate losing a days worth of money" Aurora humoured believing it a good way to get under his skin. He wouldn't be expecting a protest so the opportunity was perfect.
"It's what I had in mind, I told Arthur I would help out at the shop I just didn't tell him my motive for doing so"
When did Linda Shelby become sneaky? Had she finally been somewhat corrupted from having the Shelby name?
Aurora laughed once again. She liked care free Linda, the Linda that wasn't constantly pushing for Arthur to change. Of course Aurora knew Arthur needed some stability but sometimes Linda was just too forceful and it was quite worrying to see at times. You can't read the bible to a wild lion and expect it to change its habits so suddenly.
"I can't wait to hear all about it Linda, I'll see you this evening" Aurora smiled already beginning to plan her own protest against Tommy, he was her boss still after all and while it may have been her Dad causing her late nights Tommy was at fault for it.