Lewis

Polly's daily ritual had begun once again. Each day she would follow the same steps over and over without a fuss or a moan but inside Polly was worried. The day would begin with her waking up on Aurora's comfortable settee, her blanket thrown on the ground due to the summers heat spoiling her sleep. She would then sit up with a sharp groan and a yawn before dragging herself from her spot and making her way into the kitchen where she would have a morning cigarette and a glass of whiskey which had increased in size over the last week. After Polly had truly woken up she would then prepare Aurora's breakfast, a cup of tea and two pieces of buttery jam toast, her favourite. Polly would then place everything on a tray and walk up the stairs to Aurora's room, cutlery clanging as she went making Aurora alert to her presence. Placing the tray on the ground in front of Aurora's locked bedroom door Polly would knock and wish her a good morning before telling her to eat before breakfast got cold. As always Aurora would call out a soft thank you and Polly would leave knowing the door wouldn't open. Day after day, meal after meal Aurora's door remained locked, shielding Aurora from the world that had hurt her so. It had been a week since Lewis had died and the last time Polly had laid eyes upon Aurora was three days ago when the doctor came to visit. Polly knew this stage of the mourning period was completely natural, Polly too had locked herself away after finding out her daughter had died yet even though it was normal she still worried for Aurora. The loss of Lewis came suddenly and Aurora didn't truly have the time to come to terms with what had happened especially when she was dealing with the issue surrounding Tommy and Grace. Aurora needed her space right now and Polly would wait for however long it took while doing all she can to look after her. Polly just prayed Aurora wasn't using the time to inflict self punishment upon herself.

Letting out a sigh, Polly once again placed Aurora's breakfast outside the bedroom door and knocked.
"Good morning sweetheart I've brought you some breakfast, best eating it before it gets cold" Polly called out waiting by the door for a moment, hoping today would be different.
"Thank you Pol" She heard Aurora reply quietly and letting out a small sigh, Polly turned from the door and walked back down the stairs, back to her whiskey and cigarettes. She had decided that if the door didn't open within the next few days she would tear it from its hinges and force some water down Aurora's throat. Aurora had lost her child but Polly would not lose her and if she had to become Aurora's worst nightmare in order to take care of her then she would.

In the end Polly didn't have to destroy Aurora's bedroom door as her niece finally decided to come to her. Another day passed when Polly heard the door creak open from above her that morning. She had just prepared Aurora's cup of tea when the sound tickled her ears pleasantly, finally Aurora was leaving that god forsaken bedroom. Perhaps she had heard Polly's thoughts the day before and decided to come out before she lost her bedroom door. She could hear that Aurora was stood on the landing as her feet were lighting rocking the loose floorboards as she hesitated at the top of the stairs.
Leaving Aurora's cup of tea, Polly quickly moved on to the toast hoping the smell would entice Aurora to move and to eat even if it were to be just a nibble. As long as she had something in her stomach then Polly would be happy. Polly wondered if she should call out to her, to let her know that she was here waiting for her but she didn't want to startle Aurora and have her running back for cover thinking it was too soon to come out. Remaining quiet Polly continued to focus on making breakfast and waited patiently for Aurora to come to her. She had waited over a week, she could wait a few more moments.
It was only when Polly began to butter the toast that Aurora began to walk down the stairs and listening carefully she waited until her niece had reached the last step before she opened her mouth to speak.
"I was just about to bring you your breakfast" Polly called out spreading thick layers of jam over the toast and turning her head to the side to catch a glimpse of Aurora moving down the hall.
"Thank you Pol, I decided I wanted to join you instead this morning" Aurora replied tightening her robe around herself with a yawn and taking a seat at the kitchen table she leaned forwards and stretched her back, giving it instant relief after spending so much time in bed. Aurora was glad to see Polly was still here, it meant a great deal to her. She knew she hadn't been the best of company lately but she appreciated Polly's efforts in taking care of her.
"I'm glad to hear that darling, now here you go. Even if you take just one bite I'll be happy" Polly smiled turning to face, her smile growing wider as she truly looked upon the woman.
Her face had regained its colour, her cheeks were flushed and rosey and her golden eyes were no longer dull and dark. They still held a great deal of sadness yet Aurora smiled a true smile which made Polly's worry ease up slightly.
"Thank you Pol, M'starving" Aurora exclaimed, her eyes fixated on the jammy toast placed in front of her and picking up a slice Aurora bit down on it and groaned in pleasure. She wasn't sure if it was the lack of food in her but this had to be the greatest toast she'd ever tasted.
"Polly what day is it?" Aurora asked, her cheeks bulging with food as she tried to eat as much as she could.
"Tuesday sweetheart" Polly answered, her face falling into one of confusion at Aurora's sad expression and swallowing what was in her mouth, Aurora let out a sigh.
"Polly you missed church Sunday because of me and you never miss church, M'sorry" Aurora apologised feeling incredibly guilty for pulling her aunt away from her regular life.
"Oh Aurora I'm sure God will forgive me for missing one Sunday, I'd much rather be here looking after you. How are you feeling?" Polly enquired, needing answers as to where Aurora's headspace was and how she could help her next.
"Can someone be both fine and sad at the same time? In myself I feel better, I've finally been able to say goodbye and despite losin' Lewis m'happy and blessed to 'ave known him for the short amount of time that I did but there are moments when the sadness of not having him threatens to tear me apart again" Aurora answered truthfully before hesitating, her next words stuck on the edge of her tongue "How is Tommy?"