Forbidden Enchantment: Chapter 19

[Not my longest piece, but written better than last weeks. Sorry, I just had two different writing styles confused together or something. This is back to normal...If that  makes any sense! if not, then ignore me! haha]

Recap...

“No, I’m not”, I told him stubbornly. “I’m not afraid. I thought I was, but I was wrong. You’re not bad, you’re...”

“I’m what?” he prodded. His voice was still hard, but a sweet tone of hope was rising in it. And how could I be so cruel as to break it?

“Home”, I told him. “You’re home”.

 Chapter 19

The rest of the day consisted of driving, Lots and lots of driving. Aaron was more or less paranoid about Aiden coming, and he wanted to cover as much as distance as he could between us and the school. But wouldn’t that be the last place he would look? I didn’t voice my concerns; something told me he would just ignore them. Instead, I sat quietly for about seven minutes until the silence had grown to an annoyingly uncomfortable level. Sighing, I fiddled with the radio while sticking my tongue out. Each radio was full of commercial pop. Blergh. Talk about unoriginal! What was wrong with all these new songs anyway? They lacked so much – meaning, substance, emotion – plus, most of the singers were auto tuned, which lead you to wonder why they were famous in the first place. Wow, such-and-such got drunk at 3am! Call the paparazzi and let’s spread the news around the world!

After six channel changes, a hand clasped over mine. “Please. Just. Choose!” he pleaded the exasperation as clear as a bell in his tone.

Not wanting to argue, I switched the channel once more, hoping that something good would be on. Classical music filled the car and I relaxed as the familiar tune sunk back into the leather. I shut my head, and took a deep breath. Mozart Piano Concerto no. 21; Time For Love. I had always liked that one, it relaxed me.

I got the feeling someone was looking at me, and peeking an eye open, I saw Aaron glance away.

“What?” I asked, sounding like a croak. I coughed then, pulling my legs up. “What’s wrong?”

He seemed a little lost for words, and the silence stretched out. Just as I was about to give up on him and close my eyes, he spoke.

“You like classical?” he asked, sounding sceptical, yet surprised at the same time.

Didn’t the fact that I hadn’t tried to change the channel again answer that already?

Mentally rolling my eyes, I turned away from him, leaning my head against the seatbelt, and tried to sleep. Aaron didn’t say anything more, and silence hung over us like a thick cloud once again. And I didn’t want it to break either.

Once again, I slipped into unconsciousness, but it wasn’t dreamless. Or nightmare-less.

It was raining. Thick, heavy drops of rain pounded on my back, my head, thoroughly soaking me. Lifting my head, I was surrounded by stalks of grass, and it took me a moment to recognise the place as that where I usually saw Mommy. But this was wrong – the sun wasn’t shining, there was no breeze, just bleakness and cold. Getting up from my position from being cross-legged on the wet grass, I stood up, just as a strong gust of wind surrounded me. I was pushed back, unawares, almost falling over. Spitting out the water in my mouth, I stood again, pushing the dripping wet hair from my forehead. My vision wasn’t improved though; I couldn’t see much but blackness.

I twisted around, calling out for my mother. Shouldn’t she be here, with me? This was our dream, our place. If course she had to be here. The more I shouted, the stronger the pelts of rain became, and eventually I gave up.