Forbidden Enchantment: Chapter 37

Mistakes, mistakes.... >.>

“Feather, I’m sorry”, my mother began, but I was not hearing any of it. Claiming whatever dignity I had, I pulled myself out of my mother’s hold and stood up, in all my naked glory. I pulled my hair to the side, making it fall down before my shoulder, and placed my hands on my hips.

“Mommy”, I said to her with nothing but confidence and strife in my voice. “Where do I find the dipshit?”

 37.

Mommy gave me a smile then—a true one, not those fake smiles that people always tend to give others for no apparent reason. It was a real on, one which reached her eyes causing her skin to crinkle around the edge making her seem much younger than she was. “I guess that would be one word to describe him”, she mused, picking herself up.

One among many, I thought, reminiscing back to all the swearwords ever concocted by man, those that carried an emblem of sense, and others that seemed to be have created by a monkey.

Mommy turned towards me then, taking her hands in mine. The atmosphere seemed to turn much more serious then, although it wasn’t what anyone could describe as being serious. She took in a deep breath, her eyes fully taking me in. “Oh Feather, you’ve grown up so beautifully, you know that?” she asked—well, it wasn’t really a question in the first place, was it? Her words surprised me though, since I was expecting her to say something completely different, definitely not her proclaiming that I was a “beautiful” young lady. How could I be anyway, even if you thought about it logically? I cut myself, my body was scarred, dark hollows could almost always be found in rings around my eyes, my lips were beyond chapped, my skin was all itchy and dry and to top it all off, I had this massive disease—on no, I meant death—spreading through me, making me look like a wrinkled old plum! There was no way I was truly beautiful, or anything close to that description, really, and if you thought about it, I guess you could say that it was predominantly mu own fault. Anyway, she was my mother so she was obliged to say these things, wasn’t she? Even though her timing could be debatable . . .

Shaking myself from my wholly not only out-of-place, but out-of-time thoughts, I shook my head, focusing on the matter of hand. I decided to ignore what my mother had just said, and instead asked, “Come on, you never answered my question? Where do I find him? I need to end all of this; it’s been going on for much too long”. And truth be told, it was. Whenever things got delayed, they always seemed to get out of hand, and much too difficult to put them into place as it was in the beginning. I held onto my mother’s hands and looked her deep in the eye to make sure that she didn’t avoid it for any longer. My mother was by no description a bad person, but neither was she a very good person either. She loved me dearly—there was no argument against it, although maybe it was her love for me that made her weaker in other respects. No matter what the reason was, people generally seemed different to what we first perceived them to be.

My mother sighed when she realised that there was no backing down from this now. “Feather, for you to get to Johann, you need to first understand where you are”, she began, squeezing my hands tighter. I squeezed mine back, as if to reassure her that I was ready for whatever she was about to throw on me. “Where do you think you are anyway?”

“Um”, I looked around, trying to get a clue, but there was only sand, which didn’t really leave me with much. “The Linkin desert?” I asked, shrugging my shoulders.

She laughed at this, and again I was reminded of wind chimes. “Yes, well it seems that we are in the desert, but no, not really.” My curiosity piqued at this, although I did not say anything to her, allowing her to continue with her explanation. “We are in the furthest depths of your mind now, which for any person would only be found in Link because this level of the mind cannot be contained on earth, it is connected to the Otherworld by way too much to be contained on earth. Also, you can’t get here without dreaming, but what I’m telling you is that in here, now, all of your darkest thoughts, as well as your brightest, come to life. When I look around me and I see a desert, I think of a wasteland, I think of struggle, but also of salvation. For other people, it would not be a desert, but it would be something similarly simple. Our thoughts, in our simplest form are very yes and no, and right and wrong, they are a lot like the principled we abide by?