Forbidden Enchantment: Chapter 9

[Hola! IT'S MY MONTHAVERSARY WRITING THIS STORY!!!! Hehe, and this chapter is quite long, so shall hopefully make up for the shortness of the others. This is a vitally vitally important chapter so please vote and comment to tell me what you think!!!]

Recap...

I began picking at the perfectly applied cream paint from the walls as his words buzzed through my brain like a swarm of angry bees.

It’s not what you did do; it’s what you will do.

What would I do?

And how did he know what I would do before I even did?

Chapter Nine: Memories from the past, haunt within

During the course of the next few days and weeks, even, I discovered that Aiden and Aaron were more or less inseparable. For some reason, which I myself did not fully comprehend, I found it to be slightly unsettling. Maybe it was because although the two looked strikingly familiar, the characters of the two people were unfathomably different. Contrary to what I had experienced, Aiden seemed to be the sociable, more open one of the pair while Aaron was the dark and mysterious person. He did not seem to be the person whom others dared to talk to; they seemed to be intimidated by him, more or less... yet Aiden-the same Aiden that had threatened me and told me to ‘get lost’ was seen as almost... harmless? Was I the only one who saw through their masks?

Although I continued to feel slightly unsettled by Aaron’s presence, it was nothing compared to what I felt when I was around Aiden, which happened very seldom. I only had one or two more encounters with him, which had been purely coincidental; a bump in the hallway or waiting in line behind him in the dining hall. That time, I had scurried behind Aisling and Jessica, telling them that I had forgotten a napkin, but I already had two on the tray.

‘Just in case!’ I had told them, shooting a look at Aiden to see if he had seen me.

If he had, then he had done a pretty good job of hiding it, but Aaron seemed to notice. He turned towards me during his conversation with Aiden, giving me a curious look. I pretended that I had not seen him, picking up a pile of napkins with shaking hands.

Other times, I avoided both of them like the plague. Although I did not mind talking to Aaron, which I usually did in our English class, while we discussed the project, he was always with Aiden at other times, and that resulted in me talking alternate corridors, stopping at random places to tie shoelaces that didn’t exist, or going to the bathroom, sitting on the toilet seat for a few minutes, flushing the toilet and washing my hands although they were already clean, before heading back into the corridor.

Jessica and Aisling found my behaviour somehow erratic, and started questioning me. One day, at lunch, while I was playing with my uneaten food mindlessly with a fork, Jessica spoke to me.

‘Hey, can I ask you a question?’ she asked, rather cautiously, something very un-Jessica-like.

‘Sure’, I answered hesitantly, wondering what on earth she would want to ask me.

‘Why are you acting so weirdly?’ she burst, rather loudly, I may add. The three of us looked around quickly, seeing if she had attracted any attention towards us. Luckily, the chatter was much too loud for Jessica’s words to be acknowledged.

Aisling coughed lightly. ‘Yeah, what’s the deal with that?’ Me and Jessica have been talking... you seem to be really jittery sometimes, for no reason. What gives?’