Forbidden Enchantment: Chapter 22

[Lol, I know there were loads of mistakes in the previous chapter, and I think I got rid of them all. It's late now too, so there are prob some here too so be sure to point them out if you spot em, kay? DANKE!]

A second before they did, I heard the fire exit open and a voice call out my name. I happily shut them out, knowing that I was safe for now. Sighing, I slid down to the bottom of the elevator, wondering what kind of a mess I was in. Where was I planning to run away to anyway?

But then again, this was a city...

Chapter 22

The second, the elevator dinged! I quickly sprinted to the exit, earning a few odd looks from the attendees and some of the guess as well. Glancing down I saw I was dressed in a pair of pyjama bottoms and a loose t-shirt, while the majority of those around me were dressed in short dresses with plunging necklines, probably leaving, or coming back from a night out. Looking around for Aaron, I let out a sigh when I realised he hadn’t found me. Yet. Quickly making my way up to the polished marble reception, I slapped my hand down, getting the receptionist’s attention. He was a young man of about twenty two, wearing a crisp black suit and tie set. He seemed slightly alarmed by my appearance, but made no comment otherwise.

“Sorry”, I panted, “But can you tell me what city I’m in?” I asked, my voice barely coming back. I was still short of breath. Did I mention how much I hated my asthma?

Although the state of my appearance hadn’t moved the man, this question certainly had. He seemed alarmed, probably thinking I was half mental or something. Was it even possible to only be half mental? That wouldn’t make you very stable would it? If you were over half, then you’d be mental, but even just a little under...

“Um, well we’re in Toronto...” he trailed off, with a thick English accent. I wondered how that combination had gotten together...

Mentally shaking my head, I ordered myself to move. It was only a matter of time until he caught me and then God knew what would happen. This day was most likely the most bizarre day of my life. I quickly thanked the receptionist, and sprinted to the elegant, most likely gold plated rotating doors and entered the streets of Toronto, the only city in all of Canada I had yet to visit. Well, it was now or never.

I jogged quickly around the empty streets, which were still brightly lit despite the late hour. Music pumped out from nearby clubs, and they called out to me for some reason. Images of the day’s events began replaying in my head, and I tried to block them out as best I could – but failed. Scars. Aisling. Johann. Plane crash. Aaron... they were relentless. Flashbacks of the plane crash came back to me, the fear of falling to my death, the grip on Mommy and Dad’s hands, how they loosened, the sense of bleak emptiness before me had returned. They were starting to come faster now – the smell of smoke, the sound of cries, the feeling of numbness, the search... the eyes...the dark, familiar eyes.

Aaron.

It all clicked with me then. All this time, I had known it was him who had reached out to me at the crash site, the person who had looked at me with such pain and anguish when saying that they wouldn’t hurt me. And I had asked for Mommy and he had turned away, as fast as he had come. He had left my life just as quickly as he entered it, but had left his mark each time.

Bringing my hands to my forehead, I rubbed my temples, groaning in frustration, just wanting to get away from it all. Wasn’t there any way – any way at all – that would help me forget everything in my life, all the sadness and the pain, even just for second?

As soon as I had thought about it, I realised I was just down the road from a flashy nightclub. Cheap, commercial music was thumping around the air, reeling me in. I could see the long line in front of it, even from the distance I was standing. Large, neon signs declared it to be called Sunny’s, which flashed after every few seconds. My answer was standing right in front of me.