Forbidden Enchantment: Chapter 21

Recap...

“Questions?” she asked then expectantly.

It took me a while before I found my voice. “Um... this is all nice to know, but what does Aaron, Aiden and you being Guardian angels have anything to do with me?” I asked, even though I could feel my brain literally pounding against my skull from the information overload.

Chapter 21

“Ah yes”, Jessica sighed, tucking her hair behind her ears. “Aisling and I were fallen angels when we first met you, but we didn’t know who you were at all, only that you were important. The Elders had told us to befriend you, as you would lead us to the answers to our questions, and so we did. But it’s left us with more questions than answers, really. We were fallen angels because we did something’ unspeakable’ according to The Elders; I would more call it justice. We killed your father Heather”, Jessica spoke in monotone, not meeting my eyes.

For a second, my heart had stopped. Jessica and Aisling had killed my father.. a.. a traitor? My father, the traitor. The liar, the traitor. I decided to store this information until later. How could I feel sadness for someone whom I didn’t even get the chance to know? But... hadn’t he died in the plane crash? Had he survived the plan crash!? But... they had found the bodies of both Dad and Mommy. Mommy; where did she come into al this as well? I thought she was only human, so why was I still seeing her? Was she a hallucination? No, that wasn’t possible, I tried being rational – as rational as I could get given the nature of the situation. I saw my mother in “person” in this place called Link. So therefore she wasn’t a hallucination and I did retain some of my sanity, at least.

“How did you kill him?” I questioned Jessica, not liking the way she wouldn’t meet my eyes. There was more to this story, I knew it, but she was keeping it from me. Well not much longer if I had anything to do with it.

“Jessica”, I spoke sternly third time, in a hard voice. I knew Aaron was looking at me, and I matched it with a stare of my own, and in an instant – I knew. He knew what was going on as well; he probably had something to do with it too. After all, they seemed to know each other well - the question was, how long?

Jessica stuttered, but I was relentless, keeping a watchful eye on her, as she lifted her head, tears glistening on her cheeks. They were different to my own tears though, these seemed to sparkle even in the dim light. How had I not noticed that before!? This was the first time I was seeing Jessica – or either of the twins in fact, cry, wasn’t it? She pleaded with Aisling, although it was a silent exchange. Expressions changed, but her lips did not move. Finally, Aisling propped herself up and let out a sigh.

“Heather, here’s what happened. Jessica can’t bear to tell you, since she feels too guilty, but we all suffer, don’t we? It isn’t fair that only half of us get that share, is it?” she asked rather spitefully, and what could I do? I looked away, biting my tongue, daring the tears to come out. Where was the old Aisling that I loved like I would a sister? She had to be there somewhere!

“Aisling”, Jessica said gruffly, her voice heavy with tears. “Stop being so mean”, she whispered, shaking her head and engaging in another silent exchange. I would have liked to know what they were talking about, but I left them to their privacy. Aaron, who had been more or less silent through the exchange thus far, moved away from the wall to sit beside me. I cringed slightly away from him, feeling more alienated from everyone, and I saw hurt flash through his eyes. But as Aisling had said; we were all being hurt, weren’t we?

In a hesitant motion, he reached his hand out to touch my shoulder, and I gave an involuntary shudder. Who knew what else was going to be revealed? Trusting anyone was a big mistake, and I had fallen into the trap, without leaving a route for escape.