Forbidden Enchantment: Chapter 27

His arms stiffened, his posture became straight. “I’m here because I need you to do something for me, but not only me, it’s for the benefit of everyone”.

Lies.

The word wisped through the air, just like a light little feather that you may not always see blowing through a gust of wind. But it would always be there, it just depended if you paid enough attention to see it.

“What is that, exactly?” I asked, arms crossed, already knowing that I wouldn’t like to hear.

 27.

He sighed running a hand through is hair. He muttered something discretely to Aiden, but it did not pass by me. Don’t let her run. Hearing those words, I wanted to do nothing but run, but I constrained myself. I would only run when it was time to run, and anyway, more so than anything I wanted to hear what he had to say. I had a feeling it would be important.

“Heather, you know where you are, don’t you? In Link?”

I nodded my head as an answer, almost to say duh...

In response, he too nodded his head briefly, placing a hand in his left trouser pocket and looking a short distance away, into the horizon. Glancing up briefly to the sky, I noticed the dark, emanating clouds had started to back off, and maybe – if my eyes weren’t deceiving me – streaks of green could be seen in the background.

“I know this is a terrible time to tell you, and the conditions couldn’t be worse, but you need to know; you were born for a purpose – a very specific purpose.”

His words struck knives into me. He had my full, unguarded attention and I even forgot about Aiden watching. “P-purpose? What kind of purpose..?” It occurred to me then – I was half angel. Not human, not angel. Unnatural. There was no reason for my existence unless, there was a purpose.

My father let out a cold laugh then, but turning to face me, his expression duly softened. “What you see here, Link is something that no creature can control. Archangels have tried before, and failed, their energies having been ripped apart fifty times the speed of light. Demons have tried, and they too have failed. Angelic and demonic creatures have also tried, but they’ve failed too because Link is something that is not meant to be controlled, but you see, there is something that may have been left out.

Humans can exist on earth without any problem, but angels and demons can’t for the simple reason that we are magical, different. Earth cannot sustain our energies for long without an imbalance, and that can have devastating effects on humanity. We may loathe humans for their ignorance, but we cannot destroy them, because once they are destroyed, our worlds will also slowly start to perish. One cannot survive without each other. Call of what you want – ying yang, interdependence, whatever.

What humans can’t do though is stay in Link because they do not encompass the mind capacity to take it all in. They can remember the Otherworld to some extent, but not much. Half angels though? That’s a different story. We think that half angels and indeed demons can control this energy from earth from a location completely void of any magical energy. In theory it makes sense, but practically? We don’t know yet, but then that is why I had to have you Heather.”

I stayed silent for this exchange wondering why in God’s name was there always a bombshell waiting for me around each corner. Frustrated now more than ever, I somehow decided to stay neutral about this, ignoring the fact that I now knew that I wasn’t here by mistake, that there was a reason for me being here, and that reason was to control something that should never be controlled. Another thing – I should do this with the person I called my father, who had somehow allied with the person who wanted nothing more than to kill me. But there was something nagging me.

“Half demon? With what you’re going with, you’d need an angels and a demon creature-thing to take over Link. Isn’t this all about balance?” I look down as I spoke, kicking the wet soil around me. When I got no response, I glanced up to see two open mouthed expressions belonging to Aiden and my father. I refused to call him Dad until he could prove to me that anything he had done to me was actually for the good of myself, instead of for himself. It was bullshit if he thought that he could convince me that what he was trying to accomplish was for the good of the universe.

I slapped my father lightly against the cheek to bring him out of his reverie. It seemed to have worked as he shook his head lightly, and locked eyes with Aiden. Oh God, now they were going to reconcile with each other. This was seriously getting old and I was getting very, very annoyed. I should be surprised I should be on my knees, screaming out, but I no longer cared. Is there so much a person can take? I think there is, and once you cross that point, you can no longer care.

Huffing, I sat down on the muddy ground, as a blast of sunshine burst through the heavy cloud cover, hitting the tree in the distance. I bit my lip, waiting for some sort of response. Eventually, Aiden talked, surprising me.

“That’s the thing – you are half demon, and half angel.”

Excuse me? Well, I guess that explained why I never always cared about what others thought about me, and why I never really had the urge to help every single old lady with shopping bags cross the road. I guess that’s why you could call me spiteful and bitter the better half of the time.

“Lovely”, I spat out clapping my hands together. “But my mother was human last time I checked. Meaning that you”- I pointed at my father who had found his composure – “are both angel and demon. But, you opened the gates to let the demons in when you were fallen, so that means you are a demon since you were blasted with demonic energy. Am I right?”

“Right”, he smiled which made me even angrier. What was there to smile about in this whole situation?

“Explain to me though – why do you even want to take this place over?” I spread my arms out into the now fully sunlit land called Link. If you looked close enough, you could even see the air swirling in small circles on their own accord.

My father looked around quickly before letting out a low oath. “The sprites are coming, we don’t have much time.... Look, I need to know if you will help us. You can do it the easy way or the hard way. You seem like a smart kid so I’m guessing you’ll come the easy way. Aiden over here can still manipulate your mind. My energy still hasn’t fully reciprocated for me to be doing such things. All you need to know now is that by controlling Link, we can guarantee that no human will be able to pass through into the Otherworld again. They are a corrupt society and they will only end up infiltrating it. Noetic sciences will catch up eventually and they will try to take over Link. They don’t know their place in the worlds. They will try to destroy us, and I can guarantee you: they will use angels and demons for their own good and they will fail. They cannot handle our energy levels and the consequences will be deadly. Think about the meteor that destroyed the dinosaurs. Think of that as the tip of the iceberg. Our worlds will be coming to an end soon, but you can stop it. You can prohibit humans from entering Link, but you need to make the decision early. And you know exactly why.” His eyes darted down to my side and my breath stopped.

With that, my father turned away and started to walk away. The last words I heard belonged to Aiden: “I’ll be in touch.”

-

©Munni101