Chapter 22: Ume

I nervously watched as the door to the Hokage's office creaked and Shikamaru walked in as if on instinct and known cue. As Shikamaru's hands were tucked away in his pocket, he held his head low in a gangster manner. I never realised how calm-tempered Shimaru was until now. I guess years on my grandfather's side drove him to become a little crazy. I mean who wouldn't. My grandfather was the kage to ever live but his personality was too lively for the serious political environment. That's why Shikamaru was the perfect advisor for him.

Once Inojou, Shikadami, and I had entered through the door frame, we hung back at the back of the room while Shikamaru confidently talked to Kakashi. They were careful to keep their voices low as it proved different for me to hear them.

It wasn't till they glanced back to us that I knew that I was going to have to explain myself. Shikamaru immediately put his guard and fully faced us. Inojou and Shikadami immediately drew their guard as we stood attention to each other. I almost didn't notice Shizune in the corner holding her clipboard in a protective manner. As she clenched it she seemed ready to defend herself and kakashi. Part of her hand held onto the corner of Lord Sixth's chair.

Drawing his kunai from his back pouches, he narrowed his eyes to us.

"Lord Hokage didn't send for you!" He spoke out while pointing his finger at us.

The room was so tense that the only people who were calm and unaffected by this were myself and Kakashi. I observed with his mask covering his face. His hands were then folded on the desk as he seemed to have control in this situation. And I had no doubt that he did. But he didn't speak directly to us. Instead Shikamaru seemed to be the one interrogating us.

"What are you guys really doing here!" Shikamaru demanded as he pulled his kunai in front of him.

Glancing back to Kakashi who caught me off guard as he stared me down. We locked eyes. I tried to find the written words that would convince him to just talk to me. No one else. The secretiveness of this mission was of utmost importance. And I had no intentions of engaging them in a fight.

"Ume."

Kakashi's eyes then widened in shock. He knew exactly what I meant.

"What's that supposed to mean!" Shikamaru questioned while raising an annoyed eyebrow.

I didn't dare to repeat the name as a locked eyes with Kakashi. Shikamaru, noticing our apparent face off, turned around to meet Kakashi's stare.

"Leave us," Lord Hokage ordered as she waved Shizune to leave.

Shikamaru was at a loss for words.

"But Kaka-"

"Leave. Us. Now." Kakashi demanded as he darted his eyes into Shikamaru's.

Completely caught off guard at Kakashi break in character, he didn't dare argue as he bowed and then headed for the door following Shizune. As they both disappeared into the hallway, I looked back to Shikadami and Inojou to leave as well. They nodded and then followed one another out the door with Shikadami giving me one last glance before shutting the door. It was like the moment we had in the Moving Mountains. Right before... right before we were attacked.

Turning back towards Kakashi, I slowly made my way towards his desk. Wearing a face that hid what was within, I confidently approached him. Neither of our eyes left their gaze.

"How do you know that name?"

Glancing down, I thought of when Kakashi told me about his mother, Ume. He told me about how she was of the Inuzuka Clan and that was why his connection to dogs was so strong. Kakashi told me about how she died in childbirth and that he never met or seen her face before. No pictures, no memory, no nothing. He only had his father's words and he kept it that way. Never told a soul about her. Not to anyone, not even my grandparents. Until me. I remember before we were attacked in the Temples of Reflection, he told me that if something happened and he wouldn't accompany me on this journey, to find him if he were present in the timeline that I was put him. He told me that if I had spoken the name of his mother, that he would trust me in an instant and become an ally. Kakashi told me that his past or future self would know what that name meant.

"You told me."

His expression shifted as he pondered on those words.

"I don't understan-"

"I don't think you would believe me if I told you," I sarcastically spoke.

But I had to remember that my Kakashi could trust the Kakashi of the past. As Lord Sixth rubbed his chin and leaned back in his chair, he stared hard back at me.

"Humor me"

I knew that this was the moment where I would be putting the entire timeline at risk. But he would be the only one to know. I would have to deal with the consequences later and besides how much worse could it be.

"My real name is..." I hesitated as I tried to read is expressionless face, "Saruto Uzumaki-Uchiha."

Kakashi stood up in his chair with those words. He seemed to be at a loss for words. But I knew I had to explain further.

"I am the grandson of Naruto Uzumaki and Hinata Hyuga and," I breathed, "Sasuke Uchiha and Sakura Haruno. I was sent from the future to prevent the Fifth Shinobi War."

Realising his calm and collected hands from his desk his eyes widened as he stood up. Walking from his chair and around his desk he approached me with his hands in his pocket and leaned in close to observe my face. He was trying to compare my characteristics as confirmation.

There was one thing that could really prove who I was.

Clenching my eyes closed, I dual activated my Sharingan and Byakugan. Sharingan on my left and Byakugan on my right. And the dual whiskers on my face spoke for themselves. I then continued to realise a cloaking jutsu of my Byakugo. There, Sharingan from Sasuke, Byakugan from Hinata, Byakugo from Sakura, and Kurama's mark from Naruto. There was no unseeing or denying it now.

"Oh god," Kakashi fell backward and leaned on his desk.

Avoiding his gaze, I stared at the ground while deactivating my kekkei genkai. Hiding it from the eye.

"The f-future and the fifth shinobi war?!" He exclaimed in disbelief.

I then met his gaze as I displayed a worried look.

"I need your help."