Chapter 27: Land of Valleys

The wind that wisped across my face made light of the heat that filled the season. As we flew across the tree branches, our source of travel was picking up in speed. In front, Kakashi-sensei and Naruto were engaged in a conversation, however, a little too far away for me to hear, but then didn't stop me from secretly activating my Sharingan and trying to read their lips.

"Saruto!" Shikadami alerted me, "You can't let your grandfather know that you possess the Sharingan."

She snapped at my carelessness, shaking it off, I acknowledged her concern. Soon Inojou caught up to us and joined the conversation.

"Yeah, a little careless, dude," Inojou snarked.

I sighed, as I understood that they were right. I just wanted to know what they were talking about.

As we passed each tree at an immense tree, the sounds of the rumbling leaves echoed in my ears. The day was still young yet I felt as though it was dying.

Looking at my grandfather's face, I observed how young and vibrant he was. His leaf headband propped up his hair which made it look fuller. Much more than he had from my timeline. Based on Kakashi-sensei and Naruto's attire, it seemed as though Konoha was in a much darker time. Dressed in black and dark greys, the shinobi flak vest that Kakashi wore was a dark grey over a black sleeved shirt while those from our time were with a lot more lively colors but with the camouflage green that displayed the converted and professionalism of the village. I snickered at the thought of Kakashi-sensei's scar contributing to that dark bruting attitude. We had really come a long way from our time.

It was weird that we were in the presence of the two Hokage that ended the Fourth Great Shinobi War. Both immense war heroes. But I frowned when I remembered that we were being dragged into a fifth one, all because of me. Kakashi-sensei and my grandfather set our village up for over 40 years of peace.

Suddenly, my mind went to a space where I remembered the goal of our mission and how important it was for us to find the source of the Otsutsuki rise to immeasurable power? And why was I at the center of it? But this made me ponder on the truth as to why it was over two decades before my birth.

Glancing back up at my grandfather, I saw that he was laughing while looking over at Kakashi. I smiled, suddenly losing care for what they were even talking about. It wasn't until now that I had realized how much my father and he looked alike, I knew that he would hate me for saying that. They cared for one another, but my father worked so hard to make a name for himself apart from being Hokage's son. It wasn't until he had died that the whole village acknowledged him in that light. I always saw him for what he was. The strongest shinobi that ever lived and my father. But of course, death followed him like a friend until he took his last breath, protecting the village. While many people expected him to be Hokage and carry the same dream that Naruto had for his entire life, Boruto Uzumaki wanted to protect the village in a hands on way from the shadows. Like Sasuke was to Naruto. He wanted to be the same for my mother. A shadow hokage. And I guess I see myself the same. A shadow. I want to fully realize my father's dream as the next shadow hokage to the Village Hidden in the Leaves.

"Hey, it's right over this ridge," Kakashi gestured back at us.

I saw as he and Naruto stopped at the clearing that overlooked the land. Catching up, Inojou, Shikadami, and I were in awe of the beauty of it.

After the days of the Kara's corruption the Land of Valleys became a wasteland. But now it was filled with trees, animals, and long grassy clearing with flower patches surrounding it. The sky was rejuvenating as all three of us took deep breaths.

"Wow," Shikadami couldn't help but comment.

Naruto obliviously laughed, "You never seen the Land of Valleys?"

His question was valid but without context. Of course, he wouldn't have known the state the valleys were in now. No trees, dead grasses, and bones from the carnage that will take place decades from now.

"Oh, I-" Shikadami nervously scratched her head, "Just haven't been here during this time of year."

Could have fooled me. Naruto seemed convinced as he shrugged it off.

"It really is something," my grandfather remarked, "I took my wife here for her birthday and in celebration."

I knew she was going to play it off if I wasn't going to speak up.

"In celebration?" Shikadami curiously wondered.

We watched as Naruto formed a proud and anxious expression. Putting his fists on his hips, he smiled.

"Yeah, we're expecting!"

My grandfather seemed very proud of the whole ordeal. Becoming a father probably meant alot to him because of the childhood he had. Orphaned as a newborn. Family was everything to him. Even as a hokage, 40 years from now.

"Congratulations," I interjected.

He probably seemed off guard that I was finally speaking because his smile was lost for a second but then he locked as with me and smiled again with a nod of acknowledgement. I nodded back with a smile.

The awkward silence of the air plagued all of us before my grandfather could brush it off.

"I guess I should thank you guys!" Naruto laughed.

We all immediately wore puzzled expressions as well as Kakashi himself. Suddenly he swung his arm around Kakashi's shoulder and neck, weighing him down and off balance. Noticing our conversed expressions, he began to explain himself.
"For getting our fearless Hokage here off his ass and into the field a bit!"

We all burst out laughing as Kakashi stood there embarrassed.

"Ha, very funny," Kakashi sarcastically remarked.

He did not seem amused. I mean he neer did if I was completely honest. As our laughing died down there was a sudden explosion coming from the epicenter of the valley. Immediately we rushed to the overlook to see the source of it. Consistent explosions were going off a few kilometers from where we were. Something was wrong.

"It's Sasuke," Kakashi cleared up, "But something's not right."

That was our cue to follow Kakashi-sensei into the belly of the valley. A fight was taking place, no doubt.