Chapter 41: The Casino

As we descended into the base of the palace and into a ring of gambling tables that occupied the guests, I supported Shikadami with one of my arms. She wasn't used to the excessive use of heels but I could tell that she was managing.

"One of these aristocrats must know something about our host," Shikadami whispered so that only I could hear.

I nodded as I turned up towards the doors of the palace to see Naruto and Sasuke entering. I watched as Sasuke searched the crowd below to find us. As we locked eyes, we acknowledged a nod. He then turned to nudge Naruto's shoulder to inspect the upper level immediately heading towards the people drinking and small talking by the bar.

As we walked through the tables of games like Cho-han, Hanafuda, and Oicho-Kabu, a lady dressed in formal suit and tie servant manners carried a tray of Karuizawa in champagne glasses. Briefly stopping her and grabbing two glasses, I nodded to the servant in thanks and then handed one to Shikadami.

"To fit in," I acknowledged.

She scuffed her breath and then rolled her eyes, grabbing the drink from me to take a sip. Even though we were too young to legally drink, that didn't stop us from drinking with our friends back at home. Sometimes it was necessary when my grandfather sent us on diplomatic trips and we had to humor the hosts. I grew accustomed to the frequent tangy rich tastes. I was more of an Anami Sake kind of guy with the sweetness and sugary tastes. Inojou must be esatic about this place, he was never one to turn down a good party. But that did often get him in trouble with Aunt Sumire, which would usually lead to me having to go out and find him at clubs or street races. As much as it seemed that I felt burdened by his dangerous behavior, whenever he would drag me out with him, I couldn't help but have fun. It brought some excitement into my life and I was grateful.

"Sar," Shikadami whispered as she pointed to a group of shady men at a booth in the back of the room.

The man in the middle had a scar across his lip and eye which put it in a white haze. He seemed like the main man of the group as bodyguards surrounded him.

Acknowledging Shikadami, I directed her over to the corner, with her arm linked into my own.

"That has to be Kenichi Shinoda," she whispered as we walked casually over, "He's a mob boss from the Land of Iron who is rumored to be trying to purchase the flower."

Nodding, we finally reached him and his men, immediately the bodyguards stepped up and blocked us from getting any closer to Shinoda.

Mustering a personality I spoke, "Hey boys. Mind if I have a word with your boss."

Staring down Shinoda, he locked eyes with me and glared. Smiling, I pulled my coat over and revealed the insignia of another mob family. As they instinctively pulled their hand up to push me away, before they could lay a hand on me, Shinoda raised his hand.

"Let them through," he commanded.

Without argument, they leaned back and revealed a pathway for us to walk through. I smirked at the bodyguards before passing with Shiakdami by my side. As I sat down, I shook Shinoda's hand.

"Yamaguchi. Araya Yamaguchi," I spoke in confidence to his surprise, "and my sister, Yodo Yamaguchi."

"Yamaguchi?" He said out of suspicion, "I wasn't aware that the infamous Yamaguchi Yakuza family of the Hidden Rain was making an appearance at this pristine event?"

"Ah, but the mob tyrant, Kenichi Shinoda, would? I wasn't aware that a man of your stature would be in such an underground?" I mocked in a full manner.

I watched as he raised his eyebrow and seemed skeptical about my attendance, but I held my position with a high chin. There was a dead silence, as I noticed his men were scared in the face about his reaction to my rude words. I could see in the corner of my eye as Shikadami looked at Shinoda and I stared down. She was just as skeptical.

Suddenly he smiled and laughed as he grabbed my shoulder, "Ha! I guess we are both byond the league of these body feeders!"

I immediately smiled as well and laughed. Shikadami smiled in relief.

As we continued to live, he waved over another drink and handed it to us. Accepting it, we exchanged looks of assurment.

"So what brings the Yamaguchi family to this auction?" he wondered with suspicion while taking a sip out of his drink.

"Why the flower, of course," I said with Shinoda immediately stopping his sip.

As he released the glass from his lips and then set the glass on the tray.

"Hmm, seems like the both of us have a keen eye for its beauty?"

"Yes, beauty."

Immediately he looked at me and became serious.

"Let's hope the Yamaguchi family knows what their money is worth."

He was threatening me. But would I take the bait?

I smiled, "and Shinoda the same."

As we challenged one another, Shinoda sighed as he stood up and his men followed. I watched as he walked from the booth and then turned around to meet me and stare once more.

"May the best money win," he challenged.

"May the best man win," I reciprocated.

He squinted at me with a cold glare and then continued to disappear into the crowd. I was the enemy. That conversation made sure of it. But that is what I wanted.

"You sure are the sweet talker," Shikadami smirked.

I smirked and then turned to her, "I try."

As we smiled at one another, and I clutched her hand with care, there was a bell that rang through the room. Drawing our attention to the top of the stairs, there was a man in bold attire and exotic hair. He stood in an elegant manner as he adjusted his glasses that hung from his nose.

"Attention, attention, my esteemed guests!" he was loud and accented.

Soon the volume of the room died and all attention was on him.

"Let the auction begin!"