Chapter 3: Through the Glass

I stared aimlessly through the glass as the medical ninja poked and prodded at the comatose Ōtsutsuki clan member. It made me feel uneasy I saw them draw blood from him, its contents normal. Completely different than what I witnessed last night. The memory of it came back in flashes. The pain and horror it gave me. And my eyes. For a moment they were gone. And the moon. The sight of the blood dripping from it into the rips of darkness in the forest plagued my mind. It was too easy as to how I defeated him. It made me wonder.

"Saruto." I soft sound came from behind me.

Whipping my head around I was met with a girl with black-colored, spiky hair, tied up in a ponytail bearing teal-colored eyes. Shikadami. Unlike her father, she had softer facial expressions. Shikadami wore a cream-colored zipped-up jacket with a rudimentary Nara clan symbol on the back, blue skin-tight pants, and standard shinobi sandals. Her forehead protector wrapped around one of her sleeves and as it was , both of her ears were pierced by grey stud earrings.

"Shikadami," I answered as I reassured her with a smile.

She frowned as she sped up her walking speed to embrace me in a hug. I felt her arms wrap around my neck as kissed my cheek. Embracing her back, I grasped her waist.

"Don't worry I'm okay. I promise."

She then seemed to pull away to search my eyes. Shikadami always knew when I lied. Staring longingly into them her frown quivered. I smiled to assure her that everything was okay. But I couldn't lie to myself. It wasn't. I had seen things that no human should ever see.

"Are you sure?" She wondered in the soft tone that warmed my heart.

"Yes. I am."

At the moment there was silence as we engaged in a staring contest. She was trying to read me. Within seconds her frown deepened and then bolted into a smile. Her eyes twinkled as she embraced me again, this time harder. Suddenly a sharp pain surged through my body from my chest.

Wincing in pain she gave me room to breathe and looked at my shirt. Shit.

Her head tilted as she moved the fabric aside to reveal a bandage welling up with blood.

"I thought you told me you were going to heal!"

Shit. I could feel the anger in her voice as she pulled the fabric back over and shot me a death glare.

"I-I..." I stammered at a loss of words.

"Saruto! Dude!" I heard from Inojou behind her.

I saw as his arms stretch out as he snickered.

"Thank god," I sighed under my breath.

Glancing towards Shikadami as her attention was directed towards Inojou, I wondered how bad she word have told me off if Inojou didn't come into the room.

Inojou beared a strong resemblance to his father and grandmother: he had light blue eyes and flaxen blond shoulder-length hair allowing some to fall about his face — both traits featured heavily in his clan. He inherited his father's pale white skin color and his attire is also similar to that of his father's: a black collarless suit with mesh armor underneath. As it was also customary of his clan, both of his ears are pierced by grey stud earrings.

"Is the bastard under yet?" He rejoiced he peered around me and into the medical wing.

He seemed surprised at the sight as he passed the two of us to get a closer look.

"He looks uglier in the daytime that's for sure." Inojou joked he slapped my back.

Letting out a wince I clenched my shirt. I could feel Shikadami glaring at me. I could feel the wetness of my blood through the shirt. The taste of its iron filled my nose. It was strong. But I couldn't let a little wound get the better of me. I corrected my slouch into a straight posture. I was fine. Was I?

"Inojou. Did you tell Lord Hokage that we executed the targets?" Shikadami demanded while trying to get Inojou attention away from the glass.

"Yeah, yeah." Inojou taunted while waving his hand at her.

Rolling her eyes and then crossing her arms, Shikadami turned her focus away from him. She always seemed annoyed with him. Unable to tolerate his work ethic. It had always been that way ever since we first enter the academy together and then into the same team. I always saw it as amusing. But I was too much in pain to give myself a laugh. It wasn't like me to not have a good laugh.

My mind then wandered back to the fight. What did that man do? I had too many questions with very little answers. I need to talk to-

"Lord Hokage!" Shikadami spoke out startled of his presence in the room.

She immediately was quick to bow and then stand at attention. After we were his personal Anbu. Inojou did the same.

"Shikadami. Inojou," Lord Hokage acknowledged before approaching me.

Once he had gotten close enough, I bowed before meeting his gaze.

"Lord Seventh," I respected while keeping my composure as a well-trained shinobi.

There was a stillness to the room as we didn't leave each other's gazes. He squinted at me, probably hoping to get a reaction out of me. But his expression didn't faze me. I just stood with my head held high.

"Please, leave us." The lord seventh ordered two Inojou and Shikadami.

Without hesitation, they nodded and walked towards the doors of the room. The last thing I see is Shikadami closing the doors before giving me a worried look. I winked at her causing her to blush.

Suddenly it was just the two of us and the one-way glass. The air was clean as the Hokage had always had that kind of presence in the room. Searching his face, the minimalist qualities weren't even seen. The poker face eluded me.

He frowned.