Chapter 21: The Village Hidden in the Leaves

"Back already?" a shinobi laughed at us as we entered through the gates.

"Ya," Ino confidently replied, "the Raikage was being less difficult this time around?"

Raikage? Difficult? That's right, even though it had been a few years since the end of the Fourth Shinobi, tension between the Shinobi Villages were still dying down. I remember my grandfather telling me that the Raikage was the most difficult to come around and how Shikamaru and his team frequently took political missions to the Village Hidden in the Clouds in order to build better relations. These were the early days of Shikamaru's political career. I wish I was there to see him speak to the Raikage. In my own timeline, the Raikage of this timeline had passed away. He was infamous for his extremus ways.

"Who are your new friends," the second shinobi at the post spoke out.

I realized we had never really given them our names. As I glanced at Shikamaru, Ino, and Choji, I figured as much as they were at a loss for words. I knew that was my cue to speak for myself. But revealing my name I might get by but my last name word no doubt creates tensions in the Village. After all, I was the grandson of Naruto Uzumaki and Sasuke Uchiha. The hyphenated last names as an agreed part of my father and mother's marriage in memoriam of the Uchiha Clan, made my name renown in our time. But in this timeline my father and mother weren't born yet and who knows if my grandparents were married yet. If my knowledge serves me right, Sasuke was serving as Kakashi's Shadow Hokage and away from the Village and Naruto was somewhere near the village, if not, actually in the village. This could be a problem. I mean, Inojou and Shikadami had survived this long without being recognized by their grandmother and grandfather.

I had to think fast about what I was going to say next.

"My name is Saruto Uzuhiha," I gestured to myself, trying to my best to avoid suspicion. Looking over to Shikadami and Inojou who wore awkward looks, "this is my cousin, Jou Uzuchiha, and my..." I paused, it was risky but I had to think ahead, "my fiance, Dami Uzuchiha."

I watched the Inojou and Shikadami wore expressions of surprise. But when I locked eyes with Shikadami, she seemed shocked. I know I was overstepping my bounds, but who knows how long we could hold back the fact that we had feelings for each other.

Shikadami's face grew pale as her yes widened at me and then hid her face as she blushed. Inojou on the other hand was a full shock, I watched as his gaze passed from me to her and to me again. He stared at me for a moment and then shrugged it off. Figures.

"Uzuchiha? Never heard of it before. Where are you from?" The first shinobi questioned.

My mind raced as I tried to think of what villages were around during this time.

"Shimagame, in the Kokurai Province," I confidently responded.

I observed as the first shinobi at the post scratched his chin and pondered on my words.

"Hmm, the Land of Lighting," he added.

I nodded as I could see why they would have been suspicious about our origin because of the current tensions between the Land of Fire and Lightning. I just hope that our claim that the Hokage had sent for us would pass us immediately.

"Ok, and will you be escorting them, sir?" The first shinobi directed toward Shikamaru.

"Yes, I am giving Lord Sixth a mission debrief on relations in Kumogakure," he nodded before motioning us to follow him.

Walking at his side, I couldn't help but notice a signature hand in pocket stature he inhabited. It wasn't before long that Ino and Choji separated from us and we were left alone with Shikamaru. I observed each of the shops on the sides of the street and stood in awe at the apparent vintage outlook of the streets. The dirt roads well-contradicted the polished and posh stone work that gave my Konohagakure a sense of richness and wealth. The village really had gone a long way since the time of the early wars. Being faced with Shikamaru's backside, I urned for a conversation with him. But what a conversation starter. It seemed that Inojou and Shikadami were laughing, probably about their interactions with Ino and Choji. The entire trip here they seemed to enjoy each other's company.

Speeding up to Shikamaru's pace, I pulled off a cool attitude and casually walked to show a sign of calm and collected nature. I knew I had to play off my next words as dumb and uninformed.

"Do you know Naruto Uzumaki?"

These words seemed to catch his attention as I felt as though I saw a brief glance of interest in my words. He probably thought I was stupid because of how renowned Naruto was in the shinobi. Hopefully I didn't offend him about his association. I would be surprised, they were best friends and Shikamaru would one day become his personal advisor.

"Yes, I fought beside him during the Fourth Shinobi War," Shikamaru spoke out while staying vague about his real connection with Naruto.

This surprised me.

"Ah, I see," I said I held my hands behind my back, "is he in the village?"

I couldn't tell if I was provoking him or putting off because he seemed to become more and more suspicious of me. Even though my questions were all reasonable.

"For someone personally requested by the Lord Hokage, you seem to have a lot of questions." Shikamaru was far too smart for his own good.

His intellect is why he is my grandfather's advisor. On the outside he seemed like a lazy and slow-minded person but really he had one of the highest IQ's in the Village. His battle tactics and wisdom made pages in my Academy History books. It really was legendary. But this was after this time, he had no idea of what the future held for him. Although, I remember him telling me that his ambitions had always been to be by my grandfather's side when he would become Hokage. And little did he know that his granddaughter, heir to the Nara clan, was walking right behind him.

"I-I..." I hesitated before seeing the old Hokage Office in front of us.

We were here and like myself, Inojou and Shikadami were amazed by how different the office looked. After the Kara attacks during my father's teenage years, the village was left in ruins. Everything was rebuilt like the Pain attack during my grandfather's teenage years. I guess it would only be fitting that would eventually happen to me. I wouldn't want to say everything looks old but rather evidently different. Just the materials that were used were completely different and it's lack of industrialism proved my paint. No cars, trams, or electric lights. It was so old school.

So this was the Konohagakure of the past that rests soundly in the pages of history books.