Chapter 9: Look to the Past

"Yes, Lord Hokage," Tsuki confidently answered.

"So it's understood that you two along with the rest of the anbu force will accompany Saruto on this journey?" Naruto instructed before setting down his pen on the table.

On either side of him stood both Shikamaru and Sasuke, each asserting dominance and wisdom of his shoulder. They were his closest confidants after all. He trusted them with his life and him to theirs. I wonder how their dynamic had been like when they were younger and more active in the field. They must've been amazing.

"Don't sweat it, Gramps!' Haru spoke out of term.

I watched as her long blonde hair swung around as she talked. She was a scary woman. My childhood memories posed witness.

Naruto blushed as he responded to his granddaughter. He had always been lenient to his grandchildren. After all, each posed different sides to his own personality. Tsuki his intelligence, Haru his fun loving nature, and I his determination, no doubt. We were indeed his grandchildren. Each one of us represents his legacy. Hopefully he was proud. We were the grandchildren of the seventh Hokage.

"You guys must find Karasuki. The village depends on it." Naruto answered.

There was a long silence as I could guess Tsuki was probably thinking about what we were going to do with it when we found the turtle. As she looked to him for answers, he refused to comply. He then shot me a glance that we had to keep the true mission in secret. It was too important for it to fall in the hands of the Otsutsuki clan. I nodded and could tell while Haru seemed oblivious, Tsuki was too smart to realize there was more. But above all else, she understood the importance and didn't mind it.

"Remember this mission is top secret," uncle Shikamaru confirmed amongst me and my cousins, "Only us in this room and the rest of the Anbu force accompanying you guys make know."

We all nodded before leaving the room. I feel there stares on my back as I exit the room following Haru and Tsuki. They were definitely suspicious about the integrity of our mission. But how much of the mission were they referring to when Sasuke said about us knowing the mission. After all I would be the only one knowing the true intentions. Something about that seemed not right. Like it would come in the future to bite me. I feel guilt and regret keeping half of the mission secret from my friends. But it was for the good of the village. That's all I need to keep telling myself.

"What was that all about?" Haru laughed as she threw her hands on her head.

As the three of us walked through the hallway, I tried to avoid the question completely. I pretended to be lost in thought.

"It was way too serious am I right?" She laughed again.

Haru never had been one to read a room. Her obliviousness is often why others don't trust her with much. She has a good heart but her mind is somewhere else.

"Haru, stop." Tsuki sternly implied to her.

Tsuki understood the importance and logic of things. She was the mind of the team. She was all logic and sometimes that can be a both good and bad thing.

"What?! I'm just saying..." Haru mocked as she snorted.

"What you're just saying is inconsiderate and rude!" Tsuki broke as she strayed away from her usual calm and composed personality. Haru had always brought out that side of her.

"Who are you calling inconsiderate?!" Haru retaliated.

Great, here we go again. I rolled my eyes as Haru went after Tsuki. Tsuki then reverted back to her composed self. Like Haru's annoying pleas weren't affecting her. She sighed as she walked to ignore her.

"Don't you ignore me! I am older than you by like 3 minutes!" Haru taunted as she nagged at Tsuki.

Tsuki's lack of response enraged her and kept her on. There could only be so much that I would allow myself to endure before I became enough with their endless fighting and nagging.

"Enough!" I demanded.

Immediately the two stopped in their tracks. Haru was too in shock to speak.

They watched as I lowered my head to avoid eye contact and started down the stairs by myself. By the time I exited the building I felt them standing still in the hallway. Whatever they thought of me, I didn't care. We may be family because I am also their captain. The Anbu are groomed to respect and they have never let me down with the prospect of it.

As I walked into the dusk of the town, I thought about what my grandfathers had told me.

"When you retrieve the device you must ask it to take you to the moment when the prophecy was initiated," Naruto instructed.

"That part of your journey must be taken alone," Sasuke added.

Alone. That's a daunting thought.