Chapter 13: Assassins of the Mist

We were silent killers, trained to handle situations like this. These guys were out of their league.

As I teleported myself behind one of them in the cliffside three, I didn't give him time to react. Efficiently I slit his throat before leaping swiftly away to the next kill.

No doubt that they were after me. After all there were rumors of spies in the Hidden Leaf and I was sent on a secret mission from the Hokage itself. The Assassins of the Mist had been looking for Karasuki for a long time now and they thought we would lead them right to it. Too bad Shikadami spotted them before they could do so.

My eyes darted to the other side of the gorge with my Byakugan and saw that Shikadami was engaged in Taijutsu with two assassins. The group was notorious for their skillful Taijutsu techniques, however, Shika was the best in the Anbu at that specific jutsu. And among other things...

Quickly and quietly she executed and knocked out some without breaking a sweat. I could sense that there were much more of them approaching.

One by one we took them out, swiftly and with style. To my dismay I didn't notice one creep up on me and Shika was quick to release the shadow technique and stop the last assassin in his tracks. I watched as she made him reach for his weapon to execute himself. I watched emotionlessly as she did so before remembering something.

"No," I instructed and she was swift to follow my orders, "leave this one alive."

As we stared at him with a deathly glare, I noticed the fear in his eyes. This one will be easy to break. Slowly, I walked towards him while in an emotionless stare. I watched as sweat began to fall down his forward. Activating my Sharingan, I revealed my identity. After all, Sharingan users were extremely rare.

"Y-you're..." The assassin struggled to speak out before shaking in his shoes, "the Shadow Prince of the Leaf!"

He was trying to move away back Shikadami shadow jutsu was too strong for anyone to break. Even her

Father himself said it was stronger than both his and his father. However, it's hard to tell where she stands on that mark because of her younger brother. Even though he is only 10, he shows great potential in the academy.

"Yes, that is one of many names." I remarked, seeming unimpressed with this knowledge.

His widen in fear as I leaned in closer to his face to observe him. Clearly he was uncomfortable.

Glancing back at Shikadai she casually gave me a nod to let me go to work.

"We know that the Hidden Mist has spies in Konoha," I stared menacing down at him, "Mind telling us who they are?"

I really was able to observe his features up close. He seemed about my age with a scar stretching from his left eyebrow down to his lip opposed his cowardly nature. Probably an amatuer or new recruit. His hair was a dull platinum blonde with a brown undertone. His features were sharp but inexperienced and his eyes a boring hazel gray. He was too pale for someone who was from Kirigakure. This was odd.

"I-I can't," he struggled and panted hard in a panic, "they'll kill me."

That's when I had to break a little character and smiled.

"And you don't think I won't?" I smirked.

His eyes darted with fear as he seemed too afraid to lose sight of me. His eyes were locked on mine as he tried to see whether I was bluffing. I had never had a good poker face but that didn't mean I was always lying. Only when it counts.

"Oh shit." He breathed before shook horrendously in fear.

I titled my head and pulled a kunai from my vest.

"Now," I smirked before twirling the kunai on my fingertips gently, "Let's try this again."

The next part was all a blur to me. I never made it my business to remember torture, I hated it but knew it had to be done. I would have rather talked to him but we were out of time. Konoha depending on our mission. I couldn't play any more games with the enemy.

As Shikadami and I continue to walk up the mountain this time, it gave me time to collect my thoughts and push my feelings to the back of mind. Unhealthy I know, but sometimes the mission comes first. Plus, I had to hide it as much as I could from Shikadami because otherwise she would start worrying about me. But the mission comes first.

The cold mist of the mountains and the altitude cooled my face and relaxed me. It really was beautiful at this height. As I looked out from the view I could almost see the five nations. The sight of the snow that began to form as we got farther up reminded me of my past. Too much of my past. It was the winter right after my father passed away and when tensions between the five nations and the otsutsuki clan were growing more than they ever had before. The shinobi blood spilt on the battlefield plagued the snow.

I wondered if that boy my age had lost someone in his past, maybe it had something to do with his scar.

I can't think about him right now and his face right before slitting his throat. Through more active persuasion he told us everything we needed to know but still I had to kill him. He knew too much. They all did. It was for the good of the mission. I guess this is part of being an Uchiha, the heightened emotions that comes with it. The Uchiha Curse. Sasuke always taught me ways to push through because of the way he was unable when he was a child and how it set on the path to have the Curse of Hatred.

The Sharingan. The Great Uchiha Power. All power comes at a price and I learned that the hard way.