9. Marnie and the Midnight Adventure

I walked quietly down the dark corridor holding a large stack of books in my hands, my wand carefully balancing on top. I was on "duty" returning books to my Great Aunt's office that had been loaned out to students. I nervously chewed at my lip, keeping my head on a swivel at the dark shadows moving through the hall. I have never been overly keen on the dark.

Sure, I planned on returning the books. But who am I to pass up a brilliant opportunity of getting to roam the halls at night. I told Fred and George to meet me by the Slytherin's Secret Bathroom to pull off our latest prank.

What I was not expecting was to run into someone so late at night.

"McGonagall? What are you doing?" I gasped, nearly dropping the books I was holding. I whipped around, ready to throw a rubbish excuse but I relaxed when it was just Wood standing in front of me.

"What am I doing? What are you doing?" I asked, confused as to why he was out of his dorm. His face fell into a smirk.

"I asked you first, genius." My cheeks heated up quickly.

"I'm bringing books back to McGonagall's office," I said, hiding a smile. Wood's lips curled up into a smirk.

"I'm sure you are." He said, popping one of his hips out, judgementally. I scoffed.

"When have you ever known me to be so rebellious and untrustworthy?" I said, faking my hurt and surprise but unable to keep the smile off my face.

"Untrustworthy is something you are certainly not. Rebellious, however. That, dear, is a whole other story. So where are you actually going?" Wood asked. I rolled my eyes.

"I told you, I'm actually going to Minerva's office." Wood nodded.

"Right, then let's go." I sighed, dropping my shoulders.

"Fine." We walked in a comfortable silence until making it to my Aunt's office. I continued to walk by it, only noticing that Wood had stopped when I heard him clear his throat.

"What?" I asked. Wood rolled his eyes, gesturing to McGonagall's office.

"You missed it, genius." I signed, turned myself around, trying to hide my smile.

"You were never going to McGonagall's office were you?" Wood asked. I bit my bottom lip, smiling.

"Yer quite observant."

"So, where are you actually going?" Oliver asked. I smiled.

"Ah, that's a surprise," I said, "would you like to join me?" Oliver stood, silent for a minute, contemplating.

"Alright." I smiled as my heartbeat sped up and butterflies exploded in my stomach.

"Grand. Let's go." I placed the books down randomly in front of her office door and we began to walk down the corridor.

"Marn, why are you not wearing shoes?" Wood fought to hide his laughter.

"Oh! My shoes are too loud. Can't sneak around with loud shoes. Percy will find you." The sound of Oliver's laugh was like music to my ears.

"You are strange. Clever. But strange." I smiled at my tights-covered feet.

"Where are we going?" Oliver asked.

"Aren't you worried we'll get caught?"

"Who exactly are we meeting?"

"Are you pranking me? Am I in the wrong place at the wrong time?" I sighed, looking up at him.

"You ask a lot of questions," I said as we got closer to the Slytherin's secret bathroom. It was dark but I watched as Oliver's cheeks tinted pink. As we walked, my heart rate skyrocketed as I felt Oliver's hand gently brush up against mine. I didn't dare to look at him but I had felt comforted with him by myself.