59. Ella, Pippa, and the Second Task

"I don't understand the second task, it's bloody freezing." Marnie was in a grumpy mood more so than usual. 

"I'm not sure Marn, here," I said, handing her an extra jumper. She grumbled a thank you before shoving it over her head. I chuckled at her ruffled hair as she fiddled with her bags. We walked down to the boats meant to move students from the grounds to the Black Lake where the second task would occur. 

Having not seen Pippa yet, we figured she was already with Fred. Though when we joined the twins in the stands, she was still nowhere to be seen.

"Misplaced your girlfriend, have you?" Marnie teased. She was bouncing her leg up and down either anxiously or because of the cold. 

"Saw her last night, thank you," Fred replied, tugging on Marnie's hair while she rolled her eyes. I did notice Fred looked fidgety and nervous. 

"You alright Freddie?" I asked, bumping his arm with my elbow. He just nodded, still looking ahead. I had discovered that the only times Fred got nervous was when it came to Pippa and his family. 

"Mmhmm." Marnie hummed, looking at Fred suspiciously. We watched the four Tri-Wizard Champions standing below us on a platform deck waiting to enter the Black Lake for their second task. 

Dumbledore mumbled about a token close to each of the champions having been taken from them and will only be found at the bottom of the Black Lake. Crouch introduced each competitor before they jumped into the frigid, harsh water below. 

*Pippa's POV*

The night before 

"Hi Lovely, I'm here to escort you to McGonagall's office," Fred murmured while placing soft kisses on the base of my neck from behind me as I sat on the couch in the Gryffindor Common Room.

"McGonagall needs to see me?" I asked. 

"Mmhmm, come on, Princess," Fred replied. I couldn't help but smile like a fool at the pet name I heard so often. 

"Alright, alright." I giggled as he dramatically pulled me off the couch. We left the common room, wandering down the corridors. 

"What does McGonagall need?" I asked fiddling with Fred's hand as we walked. He gently took my hand and lovingly kissed the back of it, causing my cheeks to flush. 

"Not sure, she just asked me to 'collect you'," Fred replied, using air quotes. 

"Interesting. I wonder if it has anything with the task for tomorrow? I don't know why she'd need me though." I mused. 

"Not sure, either love. I was given almost no information." I laughed along with him, my stomach began to seize up with nerves while we approached her office. Fred was the one to give the portrait the password and walk in first. Also, there is Fleur's younger sister, Ron, and Hermione. 

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley," McGonagall said in her usual curt nature. Before Fred left he gave me a kiss on the forehead before whispering that he loved me. 

"I love you too, Freddie," I replied, smiling softly as he left. I couldn't shake that he looked anxious as he left. 

Professor Dumbledore entered the room with a solemn look on his face. It did nothing to ease my anxiety. 

"The champions' next task is one of finding and retrieving. Something has been taken from each champion, something of great importance to them, or rather, someone. That is each of you." My heart started to beat a little faster now. Why would I be taken? I wasn't overly close to either of the Hogwarts champions and certainly neither of the other two champions. 

"What- erm, what are we needed to do?" Hermione spoke, her voice was quiet but assertive. 

"All in due time, Ms. Granger," Dumbledore spoke ominously.  I was unsettled by it, glancing over at Hermione who returned the same look. This was the last thing he said before the room and all our surroundings went dark. 

~

With a rush of freezing air and pressure of breaking through the water, I gasped for air, coughing. Cheering and clapping from the stands before the Black Lake. After spluttering for my breath and rubbing my eyes, I could see Cedric's face, concerned and trying to speak to me. 

"Pippa, are you alright?" He was asking me as he swam, tugging me along. 

"W-what happened?" I mumbled, trying to help pull my own weight in the frigid waters. 

"You were the person I needed to retrieve," Cedric said as we got to the stands where people were waiting to pull the champions out of the water and handing towels out. Cedric wrapped a towel around me first, pulling it tightly, rubbing my arms to help warm me up. I smiled at him, encouraging hum to warm himself up too, not to worry about me. 

It was announced that Harry won for his heroism saving both Ron and Fleur's sister. Cedric came in second place. He smiled excitedly, pulling me into his side, hugging me. I muttered a wandless warming charm for both myself and Cedric, sighing as my teeth finally stopped chattering. 

"Congrats, Ced, nice work!" Fred's voice was suddenly behind me. Cedric's smile brightened as he nodded. 

"Thanks Mate." He said, still catching his breath. Fred took off his coat, placing it on my shoulders. I smiled, closing my eyes, inhaling deeply as his welcoming scent of vanilla and fireworks. He placed a kiss on my forehead. 

"Lets get you some you some Butterbeer, yeah?" Fred asked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. 

"Yes please." 

~

i tried so hard to add more to this chapter, i just wanted to get something published. im hoping the next one is better. don't forget to like/share/comment. update soon. word count: 953