44. Ella and the Thunderstorm

It was a stupidly late hour of the night when the storm hit. Angelina and Alicia didn't even so much as stir in their sleep while I shot awake, breathing hard. I gasped as a strike of lightning was accompanied by a crack of thunder, close to my window. I had worked quickly to toss a jumper on over my camisole and a pair of socks while snatching a blanket from my bed. 

I went to open the door but was startled simultaneously by another boom of thunder and the sight of George Weasley, weary-eyed and groggy, standing with his fist raised, about to knock.

"Oh, that's convenient." He mused, sleepily. Thunder roared again and I didn't hesitate to step quickly into George's embrace. He didn't seem surprised by my action but nonetheless still held me close. 

Wordlessly, he picked me up, wrapping my blanket around me while I wrapped my legs around his waist, hiding my face in his shoulder, my arms clinging tightly behind his neck. George walked me down to the common room where he, somehow still carrying me, started a little flame in the fireplace for warmth and a dim glow of light. 

He laid down on a couch, not hesitating to position me comfortably laying on him while he held me close. I worked hard to keep my tears and whimpers at bay while the storm continued. George said nothing, just held me and stroked my hair, soothingly. He gently brushed his thumb under my eyes, wiping tears away. 

My salty tears were soaking into the soft grey shirt he was wearing, but George didn't pay any mind. 

"You're alright, Ella. I won't let anything hurt you." He murmured, kissing my forehead. It was such an unbelievably simple, caring act that I couldn't help but feel my chest swell with love. George and I were still in the middle of a complicated "friends with benefits but strange, lingering feelings" type of relationship but I had allowed myself to not push away my feelings anymore. 

"How did you know?" I mumbled after a while of silence. George laughed a little. 

"You don't care for thunderstorms. Figured you might not want to be alone." My heart nearly broke at how sweet the action was. 

"Thank you," I whispered, holding him tight. Our legs were tangled together from underneath my blanket. I was easily able to feel the soft material of his flannel trousers, partially keeping my own legs warm along with the blanket. My shorts weren't doing much to keep me warm.  

What I hadn't expected was for George, whether he was aware of it or not, to start humming some tune I didn't really recognize while continuing to soothingly stroke my hair. This dynamic was so unlike how we normally were that I did everything in my power to soak in every moment of it, revealing in its quiet simplicity and overwhelmed by the love and comfort I was feeling. Never before had anyone come to my door during a storm to see if I was alright. Especially not George Weasley. 

Not that I minded in the slightest. 

~

When I opened my eyes, I was blinded by the sun streaming in. A nice change from the incessant storms of the past week. I noticed I was still in the Common Room, on the couch but by myself. I tried hard not to let my disappointment seep into my bones while I rubbed my eyes. The couch was warm where I had been laying and I pondered to myself how George maneuvered himself out from underneath me. 

I sat up, rubbing my eyes, groaning at the now present ache in my back from having slept on the couch. Though, I was surprisingly well-rested. Something I hadn't been for a very long time. 

"Mooorning." I craned my head to squint at the voice from behind me but almost sighed in relief when I noticed it was George. He held a cup of water. With a short smile, he handed it to me. 

"Thank you," I murmured as he sat back down. 

"Aww, you're all flushed. Not disappointed I wasn't there exactly when you woke up, were you?" If it was possible, my face flushed even more as I rolled my eyes, avoiding George's. 

"Please, it's just hot in here," I replied, sipping the water. "What time is it?" I asked. George dramatically, in perfect George-fashion, whipped his wristwatch out to gander at, smiling goofily. 

"It is nearly 8." I groaned. 

"8 that's so early," I whined, placing the cup on the table and leaning back over to George, similarly to last night's position. I wasn't thinking about my actions as I closed the distance between us, I just wanted to feel his warmth again and be held by him without questions. 

"What are you doing?" Except for that, it was morning. The storm had passed, the sun was up, and it was back to complication. I froze while my entire body flushed. 

"Nothing. Nothing, I was stretching, my back ached." I spit out, quickly, looking for an escape that wouldn't be overly noticeable. 

"I'm just pulling your leg, relax. It's really fun to get you wound up. Surprisingly easy too." I plucked a pillow from the floor and tossed it at him, rolling my eyes, but biting back a smile. 

"You're the worst, Weasel." I mused but had a smile on my face. George flashed his breathtaking smile at me and it nearly knocked me out. How is he so gorgeous, it isn't fair. Unconsciously, I was breathing in his features, gazing at him, softly. 

"Did you say you had a backache?" He asked, suddenly, yanking me from my daze. I blinked, quickly trying to focus my attention. 

"I- yeah, it's really nothing, just-" I sputtered, incoherently. George, smooth as ever, placed his hands on my back, gauging by my reaction where his hands should be. His warm hands moved to my lower back where the most tension rested and I gasped as his fingers curled around my waist, pressing his thumbs into the taught muscle. 

"There? Or is it more up here?" He asked, bringing his lips very close to my ear. As he spoke, George brought his hands up my back, closer to my shoulder blades where I involuntarily groaned at the uncomfortable ache in the muscle. 

"Ah-ha. Found it." He whispered while my mouth hung open at his close proximity but also his somehow expert method on relieving the tension from the ache. I allowed my eyes to fluttered closed while George continued to work but was once again fighting off the feeling of disappointment as he gently removed his hands from my back. I felt better as the ache was gone but simultaneously felt worse as our interaction was over far too quickly. 

I cleared my throat, "erm, thank you. A-and thank you, again for l-last night." I said, facing him. George just smiled softly. 

"Sure thing." He had rested his eyes on me, intently and I only felt my heartbeat continue to increase. I had remembered that it was nearly 8:00 and students would be coming down for breakfast soon. Quickly, I sprang off the couch and ignored George's chuckles as I made my way up the stairs to the safety and isolation of my dorm room. 

~

i wrote this a hot minute ago but actually love it a lot and am proud of it lmao. don't forget to like/comment/share!! update soon. word count: 1254