Chapter 122 - Bad Ending? (3)

Bad Ending? (3)

9.

When the V&V guild and the 8 other guilds announced their intention of sitting out the great battle, it didn't really cause much change to the overall flow of the great battle.

Of course, nothing was felt.  The normal Users didn't feel much difference, because the announcement that the 9 guilds wouldn't participate was meaningless.  This was like a politician earnestly spouting nonsense towards another politician.

The ones affected the most was the 30 great guilds.

‘What nonsense are these crazy bastards suddenly spouting?’

‘If they can't have it, then we can't have it either?  Is that it?’

The rest of the 30 great guilds had planned on entering into the great battle at the right moment. Aside from the 9 guilds, the rest of the 30 guilds had to temporarily pause all the plans they had made.

Of course, this didn't mean the 9 guilds, who announced their non-participation, had a lot of influence or authority over the other guilds.

‘The one to step forward first will be hit the hardest.’

‘There is no need to be the first one to get bludgeoned.’

‘This might be better for us.  The great battle is more difficult than expected.  We should use this time to put our forces in order.’

In the end, everyone's choice came down to calculating the cost.

‘If we look at what's happening right now, the Corrupted army is dominating the battlefield. Eventually, they'll need us.’

‘We can still work at the individual level.  We just have to keep our guild's name out of the spotlight.’

The ones, who were most affected aside from the 30 great guilds, was the Underfoot guilds.

While the 30 great guilds were punching figures into their calculators, the Underfoot guilds were aggressively participating in the great battle.

However, their participation couldn't change the tide of the battle.  Still, there had only been consecutive losses before, but now there were increasing number of victories.

This was especially true for the Fighters guild. Whistling Pitbull's stellar performance was  dazzling.

- Did the Fighters guild win again?

- He did it!  He did it!  Pitbull did it!

- Pitbull made a breach as he put his life on the line. The Users were sheeps without a shepherd, but now they have someone to flock towards. Someone really has to take the lead.

In truth, the Fighters guild more than likely would have lost their first foray into the great battle. They were using methods that had failed before. Their line of Tankers hadn't performed up to par, and the command structure had not been solidified.  The mages rained down magic indiscriminately as they damaged allies and enemies equally.   

In the end, everyone thought this was a wasted effort...  The Users were getting ready to bail out quickly.

This was when Whistling Pitbull marshaled his comrades, and they charged forward.

“Break through! Burrow in as deep as you can! The side that can break through the other's battle line wins!”

Whistling Pitbull was going to be surrounded by monsters, but he didn't show a single ounce of fear.  Whistling Pitbull unhesitatingly charged forward, and this sight changed the heart of some Users.