Chapter 13- Just like the old days

Skye's POV:

“I’m home!” I call into the house, something I’ve never done before.

Hey, I’m in a good mood.

“In the living room!” Gary calls back. I go and join him.

“Where are the others?” I ask.

“Well, the girls are at afterschool until five, when Teresa picks them up. Teresa’s at work until then.”

“Cool.” I say.

“Why do they go to afterschool if you’re home?” I ask.

“Well… ummm… I’m not usually home this early, but I wanted to be here for your return.” He says, a bit unsure of himself.

Weird.

Whatever.

I still can’t figure out where I knew him from... gosh I wish I could.

Gary picks up the empty beer bottle from the table.

“I’m gonna grab another beer, you want one?” He asks.

I finally pick up on his slightly slurred speech. He’s only a little boozy.

Fucking fantastic.

“Um… I’m fifteen, so I’ll decline your offer.”

I say carefully, going into defense mode like I would with my father.

“Mmmmmkay then.” He slurs, leaving the room.

“I’m going to the guest room!” I call out to him, and then bolt off to said room.

Phew. Close one.

There’s a box on my bed with a note on it. I pick it up and see that it’s from Teresa. “It’s not too fancy, but we figured you’d need a laptop for school. Enjoy!”

I opened the box to find an outdated PC. It had lots of scratches, but I finally have my own computer! AAH!

I power it on and find that it must be Gary’s old work laptop, because the profiles on there are “Work” and “Gary Home”.

Cool.

I make a new user profile and fiddle around with the wallpaper and such before checking out all the applications it has. Mostly software like Microsoft Word and Excel, but perfect for school!

I click on Internet Explorer and it loads for five years before telling me I need a wifi password.

Shit.

I go downstairs to go ask and find Gary in the living room, watching something on the TV.

Then I realize it’s porn.

And then I notice his hand is in his pants.

I quickly turn around to go away but it’s too late, he’s already seen me.

“Heey, Skylynn! Wanna join?”

“Uh, no thanks.” I say, trying to leave.

“Skylynn, c’mere.” He requests. I don’t

“Or face the consequences.” He adds sternly when I don’t react.

I follow orders. I must.

“What are YOU gonna do that’s sooo much more important than hanging out with your lovely daddy?”

“You’re my uncle, not my father.” I say stiffly.

You’re turning in to him, though, I think.

“You can call me daddy if you want.” He cackles, practically spitting on me.

“No thanks. I’m going to go take a nap.”

I quickly hurry to my room before he can say or do anything, a new-found fear bubbling up inside of me.

I’m not safe anywhere, am I?

I lock my door just in case and curl up under the duvet and despite my fear, quickly fall asleep.

When I wake, it’s to Cassie screaming downstairs at Tess to stop changing the channel.

I decide it must be safe to come out, so I go to the living area to see Teresa cooking dinner in the kitchen and the girls watching TV in the den.

“Hey girls!” I say, relieved that Gary isn’t here.

Maybe it was all a bad dream or something.

“Skye!” Cassie giggles, running up and hugging me, taking me off guard.

“Hey, nugget! What’s happenin’?” I say, laughing along.

“Nothinggg.” She smiles up at me.

“We’re watching Spongebob.” Tess says. “Wanna join?”

“We WERE watching Hannah Montana, but Tess changed it.” Cassie whines.

“You’ve never even seen Spongebob! How do you know if you don’t like it?” Tess argues.

“Well I happen to love Spongebob.” I say.

What the fuck is spongebob?

“And I think you will too, Cassie.” I conclude, picking her up and bringing her over to the couch before spinning her into the air and plopping her down on the pillows. Her giggles are adorable. I sit next to her and focus my attention on the talking sea-creatures, trying to forget the events swirling around in my head.

Dinner was lovely. Gary was there, but he acted pretty sober. I could still smell the alcohol.

After I did my homework and played a little bit more with the girls until they had to go to bed, I went to ask Teresa the wifi password. As I approached the kitchen, I heard arguing.

“Why are you drunk AGAIN, Gary?! I told you to stop! We have three children in the house now!” Teresa whisper-yells.

I, for one, am not a child.

“Hey, Terese, I’m going through a rough time right now, okay? I lost my job. So I’ll do what I want, thank you very much.” Gary practically growls at her.

“Well I do not want to see you touch another alcoholic beverage until Cassie goes off to college. How could you forget how you used to be? Only eleven years ago. I bet Skylynn hasn’t forgotten! You and your bastard of a brother scarred her for life. Remember that?” Teresa whispers loudly, clearly pissed.

“You weren’t even THERE.” Gary groans.

“Yes! And if I had been, I would have broken up with you right then! If I only I had known…”

“If you had only known what? That I like to have fun once in a while?”

“You fucking raped her, Gary! She was four! You and your sick brother took advantage of your NEICE!”

What.

What the actual fuck.

“Fine. Whatever. Just stay out of my hair.” Gary scoffs. I quickly duck into the shadows as he storms off to their shared bedroom.

A little bit later, Teresa comes out, looking quite worn out. I make a point to make it seem like I was just coming down the hallway.

“Oh! Aunt Teresa! There you are. I was wondering if I could have the wi-fi code for my new computer. I absolutely LOVE it!” I say.

“Oh of course dear.” She shows me where the code is and I write it down so I can transfer it.

“Thank you so much. I’m going to bed now, goodnight!”

“Goodnight, sweetie.” Teresa replies.

A/N: Another filler. Sorry.