Chapter 31- On the mend

Skye's POV:

The rest of the weekend is uneventful. Laurie comes back Sunday afternoon. No one mentions the events of Friday.

On Monday I return to school. Teachers are telling us it's time to "buckle down" for upcoming finals, since there's now only a couple of months of school remaining. I'm worried. With everything that's been going on, I haven't been able to keep up with my schoolwork as well as I should have. The only class I'm even remotely prepared for is music, since Ashton and I are nearly done with our song. Plus, Mr. Tomlinson has a soft spot for Ashton and I. We'll be fine.

I'm venting to Ashton about my stress level when Mr. Tomlinson comes up behind us and puts a hand on each of our shoulders.

"How are things going here, you two?"

"Great." Ashton says. He wears a concerned look, though. Ever since he found me at my Uncle's place he's been extra protective and concerned about me, especially when I vent to him or seem "off."

This must be one of those days.

"Are you sure? You both look a little worse for wear." Mr. Tomlinson argues.

He's right. Ashton's sister came down with the stomach bug yesterday and Ashton stayed up practically the entire night with her. I, on the other hand, had experienced another episode of sleep paralysis on Friday and since then I've had trouble falling asleep.

A student calls across the room to get Mr. Tomlinson's attention. He looks at us one more time before saying we can "talk later" and leaving.

He ends up holding us after school. Well, he tried to hold Ashton late but he said he had to go home to check on his sister, who has been home alone all day.

"You and me, then." Mr. Tomlinson says. "How was your break?"

"It was pretty good. Helped me get acquainted with my new guardians." I said honestly.

I told him about Mr. Howard and Mark. How they fight yet how they seem so alike. It puzzles Mr. Tomlinson as well. He gives me his number again, since he noticed that I got a new phone. He reminds me not to hesitate to call or text him, no matter what. He also gets me to tell him what I told Ashton about my scholastic concerns. He proposes I stay after with him at least a couple of times a week to do extra practice. He even offered to get some study materials for me, but I said I could at least handle that part.

"Well I'm glad to hear that these people seem to be treating you well. You deserve it." He says as he pulls in front of my new house to drop me off.

I smile and thank him for everything, as always.

"Where on Earth have you been?" Dr. Howard asks the second I get inside. "I thought school let out at 2:15!"

"I stayed after to work on my assignment for music." I tell him. "I'm sorry."

"Ah. It's alright. Now I know. Do you stay after often?"

"A couple of times a week, maybe more." I say. "Finals are coming up, so I'll be getting study help too."

"Okay. I won't worry next time."

It amazes me how these people seem to care about me, even though I've only stayed here for a week or so.

After dinner I make myself busy printing off various study materials for each of my classes and organizing them into folders that I'll leave in Mr. Tomlinson's room for our study sessions. I'm glad he's there to motivate me. Self-motivation is not my specialty.

~~

The next month is a busy one. It becomes clear that Mr. Tomlinson gave us far too long on our end-of-year project, since Ashton and I are completely finished with it. We could be using his classes to rehearse, but instead we spend that time playing cards or doing homework together. My grades in my other classes are beginning to improve, thanks to Mr. Tomlinson. At least three times a week, I stay after and do my homework while he grades assignments and does whatever else high school teachers have to do. When I finish my homework, I work on the study worksheets I found. The arrangement works out well for both of us, because we more or less pressure each other into completing what we need to.

Laurie, Mr. Howard and I spend the evenings watching reality tv or reruns of sitcoms I'd never heard of but have come to enjoy. I feel like I'm part of a family now more than ever. It's incredible. Sometimes I go and watch sports with Mark or read. Mark keeps to himself in the evenings. Occasionally he'll take me out on the weekends to eat at a restaurant or explore an area of town. It's amazing how much of this city I've never seen before, even though I've lived here my whole life.

"I'm beyond proud of you, Skye." Mr. Tomlinson says on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend.

I look up from my Calculus book with a confused grin. "Uh, why?"

"Just because. I've been fortunate enough to watch you grow and change so much this semester, musically, academically, and most importantly, personally. You are no longer the shy delinquent that wouldn't speak to me in January." He sighs.

I think on it. "I guess things have changed."

I'm not better yet, but I'm definitely on the mend.

Later that day, Dr. Howard and Laurie leave for the long weekend to go to a family reunion. They ask if I want to go and they are completely understanding when I say no. Much to Dr. Howard's dismay, it is decided that Mark is to stay home with me. I continue to wonder why there's so much hatred between the two of them.

Needless to say, I don't have to wonder for long.