Chapter 32- Out

Recap:

Much to Dr. Howard's dismay, it is decided that Mark is to stay home with me. I continue to wonder why there's so much hatred between the two of them.

Needless to say, I don't have to wonder for long.

Skye's POV:

I'm reading and hungry when Mark gets home from work. He walks in the door around nine, even though Laurie had said he'd be home for dinner. I can smell the booze on him from yards away. Feeling confident, I confront him.

"Where were you?" I ask.

"Out with friends." He chuckles.

I frown. Being forgotten is something that I can't get used to, no matter how often it happens to me.

"Oh."

"Why the long face, sweetie?" He slurs.

"Nothing." I quickly retreat to my room on an empty stomach. It's not worth the risk.

~~

Mark wakes me up at ten the next morning. He apologizes for forgetting about me last night and says he's taking me to a fancy brunch downtown today. I can tell he must have a killer hangover by the way he squints and speaks quietly. Nevertheless, I smile. He apologized.

After brunch we play soccer in the park. It turns out he used to play in the same league as Mr. Tomlinson. I wonder if they know each other. It's doubtful because of the age gap, but still.

We get home around three in the afternoon and Mark decides to go to the store to get things for dinner. He comes home with ingredients for a pizza and two six packs of beer. He opens one up immediately and drinks it surprisingly fast.

"I thought Laurie said you don't drink?" I ask.

"What does she know?" He responds, sending chills down my spine. His tone is frightening and ambiguous, leaving me feeling unsettled and nervous.

I stay in my room until it's time to make dinner. We make the pizza together, laughing and joking like usual. If it weren't for his breath, I would have no idea that he'd had anything to drink. I scold myself for overreacting. Mark isn't an angry drunk like the men in my family. It's fine.

We end up burning the pizza because we're too encompassed in a game of Gin Rummy to pay attention to the time. We munch on stale cereal and watch the second half of The Godfather, which is playing on TV. Mark opens the second six pack as the credits roll in.

I can tell he's getting drunk again so I try to head up to bed, but Mark stops me. He tells me that he doesn't want to be alone and bursts into tears. My breathing quickens. He's reminding me of my uncle.

"M-mark... I n-need to tell you something" I start. I plan on telling him how scared I get around drunk people but he cuts me off.

"Honey, it's okay. No need to be scared. Everything's going to be fine." He whispers, pulling me down onto his lap and hugging me to his chest.

Immediately I go into fight or flight mode, screaming and fighting against him. He quickly covers my mouth and tells me to calm down or I'll make him do something he'll regret. When he sees that I won't cooperate, he lets me go.

"Fine! Be a little bitch, then!" He yells as I sprint up the stairs.

I immediately call Dr. Howard and tell him what just happened. He informs me that Mark is a recovering alcoholic and he gets aggressive when he's drunk. Laurie denies the aggression, though. He tells me that Laurie and him will catch the next flight home, but I don't think I can wait that long. I need to get away from Mark. Who knows what he'll do?