Chapter 21- You can run, but you can't hide

Skye's POV:

The next day at school was rough. I'd run out of concealer so I was forced to use my hair to cover the cut on my face. Mr. Tomlinson had already seen it, so I guess it wasn't such a big deal.

Music was... interesting. Mr. Tomlinson decided he would do one-on-one check in's with each group today to see where we were all at in the project and assist. He sort of snaked his way through the rows of paired desks, giving constructive criticism and listening to panicked group members explain the lack of work they'd completed so far.

Ashton and I sit in the back corner, so of course, he got to us last.

"Alright guys, what've you got so far?" Mr. Tomlinson asks.

I took my hands (which I'd been hiding all day) out from under the desk to hand him the lyrics we had so far. The song was about self-acceptance, at Ashton's request, and it was about half-completed. We'd been goofing off almost as much as the rest of the class. It was hard for me to help write the lyrics because quite honestly, I don't feel like they relate to me. It fit his persona perfectly, and he sketched out notes to fit my vocals. There was a solid drum part as well, perfect for him.

Mr. Tomlinson skimmed the lyrics, nodding.

"So, what're you gonna call it?" He finally asks, looking up from the sheet.

We actually hadn't discussed the name yet. I looked at Ashton.

"'Who You Are?'" Ashton says, staring straight into my soul.

"Well, it's looking good so far guys." Mr. Tomlinson says before going into a long, mostly one-sided conversation about pitch. Ashton commented, but I was too shy to open my mouth.

Mr. Tomlinson handed me the paper so I reached out for it, exposing my hands again. Ashton gasped quietly. "What happened?" He asked.

I looked from him to Mr. Tomlinson, who gave me a look that told me he was interested in seeing how I would get out of this one, and back to Ashton.

Just at that moment, the bell rang and Mr. Tomlinson left us, saying, "Class dismissed!" as if it had any impact on the students already shoving their way out of the room.

Ashton continued to stare at me. "First your face, now your hands? What happened?" He repeated.

"I just... fell. I was running, and I fell. And I tried to catch myself so that I wouldn't get hurt, but obviously the pavement had other ideas."

He looks at me like he really wants to believe me but doesn't and nods.

"You do seem pretty clumsy." He says.

I don't know whether or not to take that as an insult, but I am grateful he's bought my lame excuse.

"See you." He waves, heading out.

I go to shove the paper away so that I can go and hope to catch the bus, but by the time I get to the door, I can see that Mr. Tomlinson has other plans for me.

"You can fool him, but you can't fool me." He sighs slightly, closing the door behind him as he reenters the room from his duty post out in the hall.

I sigh as well, going to sit in my usual spot, which I realized I actually hadn't done in a while.

We don't speak until he has the tea bags placed into the mugs.

"What's your angle?" He asks.

"My... angle?"

"Yeah. Why do you keep so much about you hidden? What good does it do you?"

If only he knew what would happen if I did tell.

"There's nothing to hide." I mumble, feigning interest in how my hands are folded on the desk.

"Don't give me that bull, Harry told me you were pretty badly hurt yesterday. He said he found you in the creek."

I refused to look up at him.

"Why have you been ignoring me?" He asks desperately.

"Why are you interrogating me?" I shoot back, a little harsher than intended.

He sighs. "I'm really worried about you, Skylynn."

"Don't be. I'm... alright." I say, knowing that 'fine' won't cut it.

An awkward silence ensues, only to be broken by a blunt question.

"Would you tell me if someone was hurting you?" He asks. "I just want to know if this was a one time thing or..."

I made the mistake of looking up just then and we locked eyes. His face began to blur as tears clouded my vision, and only then did I realize I was basically crying.

I pushed my head down into my hands and tried to calm down. The whistle of the teapot was soothing.

I flinched when Mr. Tomlinson rested a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see him placing my tea in front of me.

He retreated to his desk again.

"We can change the subject if you want, just know I'm always here and only a call away if you need a safe place to stay or someone to get you."

I nod gratefully.

"So... you and Ashton?"

And just like that, I was smiling again.

A/N: Short. Sorry.