Chapter 11- Sleep is for the weak

Recap: The last thing I see as I leave is the blood on the carpet.

Skye's POV:

When I’m outside, I’m shocked to see that Mr. Tomlinson is standing outside of his car, looking at his phone. He looks up and sees me, then briskly walks over to me and embraces me.

“Who is this?” The woman asks.

“I’m Louis Tomlinson. I work at her school. I drove her here.” Mr. Tomlinson says, extending his hand to the officer while still keeping me in his tight embrace. I finally break it off, feeling suffocated by his strength. Still, he wraps an arm around my shoulders.

“Well, Mr. Tomlinson, I will be escorting this girl to her new home with her uncle. So if you would excuse us, we need to be leaving now.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, sir. Thanks again for the ride.” I say. He nods as the woman yanks on my arm, pulling me away from him harshly.

‘S a shame, because I was actually beginning to feel pretty safe under his touch.

Now it’s time to go to my new family.

~~

The car ride with the lame adoption lady was pretty dull. It was entertaining when she tried to make small talk and accidentally asked me if I was doing anything fun for Mothers’ Day before profusely apologizing and telling me she was new at this (obviously).

We finally pulled up to their supposed house. I did recognize it, but it was weird because I don’t remember being in it.

It was slightly reassuring to see that Mr. Tomlinson’s apartment complex was only four lanes away (across the road).

The whole family, including my two younger female cousins (that I hadn’t known about until now) was standing outside to greet me. Apparently, they had been told of my arrival. Fantastic.

Give them a chance, Skye.

They all hugged me and my uncle (Gary) introduced me to my aunt (Teresa) and my cousins (Cassie, 8, and Tess, 10). He seemed nice enough. There was still a vague familiarity in the air, but only with him. Odd. Teresa seemed sweet too. She was wearing a dirty apron and smelled of garlic.

Tess was definitely the free spirit of the family (not that every family has to have one, just saying). She had an intricate braid that consisted of a small side braid leading into a normal large one and wore a white, flowy tank top with light blue shorts. She wore tye-dyed vans to top off the look. 

I instantly fell in love with her style.

Cassie was dressed in loud, bright pink overalls. That was the only loud part of her, though. She was shy and quiet, which I respect.

What I didn’t expect was for Cassie to grab my hand and pull me over to her dollhouse after the very awkward dinner in which everyone tried to avoid speaking of my parents while also “getting to know me” and setting rules.

So fun.

Also, Cassie was staring at me the entire dinner.

It got creepy.

Anywhore, back to the dolls.

She dragged me over to her and Tess’ shared room where there was a wooden dollhouse resting in the corner. She then began to explain who each of the dolls were (there were seven) and she even decided to rename one after me.

The Tess doll was easy to pick out because it too had a very intricate braid and was dressed in blue pants and a white shirt. Creepy resemblance.

We had a totally not-sucky time playing with the dolls and making them cook dinner for themselves and whatnot until Cassie, out of the blue, asked why I was here.

I mean, if you wanna look at the technical side of things…

No. I’m not giving an eight-year-old the sex talk.

I honestly didn’t know what to say. Do I tell her the truth? Do I stretch it? Do I lie? Do I tell her to ask her parents?

Do I get up and just leave her?

I decided to stretch the truth and tell her that her parents adopted me. I didn’t explain how or why or anything, I just told her that now I was a part of her family and that I was really excited.

Ha.

She smiled back and said she was really excited too.

Interesting.

Around eight thirty, Teresa came in and told Cassie to get ready for bed. I took that as my signal to go, and Teresa showed me to the guest room which I guess is mine now.

Tess and Gary came in a little later to say goodnight (quite the affectionate family) and Gary smirked (kinda like my father) before asking if I needed anything and if I was enjoying my stay.

He made it sound like it was a fucking hotel or something. No. My dad is in jail for killing my mom.

This is my new life.

I sighed as I plopped into bed, still not bothering to unpack the suitcase Gary must’ve brought up.

I gulped in the day. What a day. So much happened and I really didn’t have time to be sad or angry or anything.

I panic-attacked in front of Mr. Tomlinson, so that’s something.

I tried to get some sleep, but every time I shut my eyes the image of my mother’s dead body flashed through my head and my eyes shot open again.

Around two am, I saw my door open and I heard someone enter the room. They climbed on my bed and curled up to me.

“Cassie?”

She was sniffling.

“What’s wrong?”

“I had a bad dream. I can’t sleep.” She mumbled through tears.

Girl, I get you.

“Yeah, me too. Here.” I pulled the comforter over her and pulled her closer to me. She cried into my shirt a little before finally falling asleep.

I decided not to move her or anything. I really was tired. I just couldn’t get any sleep at all.

A/N: Hey, I updated! Sorry it's been a while, not that anyone is waiting.. haha.