Chapter 12- A little tea party never killed nobody

Skye's POV:

When morning came, I ended up having gotten no more than one hour of sleep, but that’s better than nothing.

The last thing I wanted to do was go to school, but Teresa and Gary insisted that it would help me get my mind off of things.

Great.

I ended up taking the bus to school while Gary drove Cassie and Tess to school. I didn’t mind. I listened to music the whole way, and that also meant I didn’t have to make awkward small talk with Gary.

They’re nice and all… it’s just… awkward.

I forgot to eat breakfast and by lunch time, I was starving for once in my life. I was surprised to see a moon pie in my backpack with a drawing of a heart and Cassie’s signature at the bottom. I found it while I was looking for my latest read, The Book Thief. Books are amazing because they get your mind off of things.

I avoided going to the cafeteria and instead spent my lunch period in the library, snacking on the moon pie in secret because the librarian hates it when you eat in the library.

Whatever.

I just wanted to avoid Mr. Tomlinson, which I realize is inevitable because I have him last period, but I don’t want to have to speak to him alone about yesterday.

When the dreaded class rolled around, I was half-asleep. Mr. Tomlinson tapped my desk as I was mid-snooze during a written test (which I was not at all prepared for but it was super easy because my class is full of incompetent morons) and frowned at me. It wasn’t a disappointed frown, though. It was more of a pity frown.

Pity sucks.

When the bell rang, I quickly gathered my stuff and was halfway out the door when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

Anika.

That bitch.

She pushed me into the doorframe, managing somehow to scrape my nose and guarantee that I would be the last one out the door.

I grabbed my nose to hide it from Mr. Tomlinson because I’m pretty sure he already suspects I’m being bullied and he’s the kind of teacher that would go report it to the principal, which would do more bad then good for me.

When everyone was finally out of my way and I was about to leave, Mr. Tomlinson called out to me.

“Skylynn, wait.”

I turned around to face him, still holding my nose.

We just kind of looked at each other for fifteen seconds or so until I got uncomfortable so I decided to try leaving again.

“No, come here.” He protested. I followed orders. He got up and closed the door (SHIT) and told me to put my stuff down and take a seat. “Would you like some tea?” He asked.

This is weird. This is reaaaaalllly weird.

“Why are you offering me tea?” I asked, a tad sassier than I’d intended.

“It’s a gesture, Skye.” He sighs.

“Um, sure then.” I say. He stands up and pulls out a hot plate from his desk (I thought only chemistry teachers had access to those) and a kettle. He then grabs a water bottle from the mini-fridge in his filing cabinet and pours that in to the kettle before putting it on the burner and pulling out some tea bags from another drawer in his desk.

He glances back at me.

“Your nose.” He says. The scrape must be bleeding a little. “What happened?”