Chapter 27- Relief

Recap:

Skye's POV:

Tears are running down my cheeks rapidly. I turn around and bury my face into Mr. Tomlinson's chest, finally coming to the realization that he just saved my life once again, except this time it's public. I force myself to focus on his hands; one is gently rubbing my back and the other is holding me tightly to him. He keeps mumbling that it's gonna be okay, and for the moment, I believe him, because I can't afford not to.

Harry's POV:

I watch from the ground as Skye begins to slowly back up away from the edge. Whatever Louis' done has worked. She's not jumping.

I nearly let out a sob of relief. I couldn't bear to lose her, partially because she's a lovely human being that's like a sister to me and partially because of the effect she's had on Louis. I've never seen him act so fatherly, not even around his own sisters. This girl has no one to look up to but him; I don't blame him.

The medics push past me to bring a stretcher into the building. They must be planning on taking her away. Honestly, I'm kind of relieved. I knew that whatever happened must have been bad, but since I didn't know how bad and she didn't seem to want to tell us, I was afraid that we wouldn't know what to do... and essentially something like this would have happened.

Louis' POV:

I start to loosen my grip on her as I hear the medics approaching but she hugs me tighter.

"Please don't let me go yet." She mumbles.

At that, my heart breaks. I pull her close again and use one hand to run my fingers through her hair. She nuzzles into me further.

To their credit, the medics don't bother us until we pull apart. They've got a gurney with restraints on it ready to take her away. When she sees it, she looks at me, terrified.

"I'll be right here." I tell her.

They strap her down onto the gurney for safety and bring her down to the ambulance. I follow right behind, climbing into the ambulance with her. Harry promises to meet us at the hospital with the car.

Harry's POV:

When I get to the hospital they're settling her into a room. Apparently, she freaked in the ambulance and they had to calm her down with a few drugs. Louis meets me down in the lobby.

"They've got someone from social services coming to figure out where to go from here." He says.

I nod. I don't really know what to say. Neither does Louis, apparently, because we sit together in silence for about twenty minutes before a nurse comes down to tell us what room she's in. They're hesitant to let us see her, since we aren't her guardians and she currently doesn't have any guardians to begin with, but one look into Louis' desperate eyes gave us easy access.

Skye's POV:

When I come to, I see Harry sitting in the corner. He happens to look up and sees me staring at him, so he greets me cheerily before telling me that Mr. Tomlinson is in the restroom and excusing himself to go tell the nurses I'm awake.

The I.V. in my arm itches. For a split second, I consider ripping it out and running away, but after trying to sit up I realize that I'm far too woozy and weak do make any major movements at all.

Harry comes back with a peppy nurse who informs me that I've been asleep for a couple of hours and they're currently working on getting me nutrients because of how malnourished I am. She tells me that I'll be staying in the hospital until I'm "in a good place" and informs me that I'll be meeting with a therapist daily until then. They apparently want to do some x-rays to make sure I haven't broken anything and check for any internal bleeding as well.

Everything is pretty overwhelming to me, but I relax slightly when Mr. Tomlinson walks into the room. I'm sort of embarrassed to see him after the scene I caused, but he simply gives me a smile as if everything's normal.

"Your social worker will be pleased to know you're awake as well. I'll go get her." The nurse finishes, leaving the room.

Mr. Tomlinson comes and sits on the edge of my bed.

"Hey, Skye. How 're ya feeling?" He asks softly.

"Alright. Tired." I mumble, testing my voice. It feels scratchy.

I want to thank him again for everything he's done but my thoughts are interrupted by the clicking of heels that signals the arrival of my social worker.

"Helloo, Skylynn, good to see you again!" She says.

Is it good? Really?

"Well, I'll just cut right to the chase, here." She continues, seeing that I'm not going to be very talkative. "So it looks like we don't have anyone else to go to from your parents' wills, so now it's pretty much up to a judge to decide. We can try to find more family members or we can go ahead and let you go into foster care, whether that be an orphanage or a foster family or what have you. Does anyone come to mind?"

I shake my head. Other than my uncle, I've never really been aware of any family other than my mom's parents, who are both deceased now.

"Alrighty then. I'll find out when you are going to be released and then set up a court date to meet with the judge about all of this." She finishes.

I nod.

"Also, until that day, technically I am your guardian, so if you need anything or want me to stay with you, I would be happy to do so. It appears that you have some nice... friends... though, so just let me know."

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." I say.

After a long pause, she finally catches the cue and leaves me her cell number in case I need her before exiting.

"Well isn't she just a breath of fresh air." Mr. Tomlinson says sarcastically.

I smile.

Eventually, we turn on the TV and watch whatever sitcom is currently airing to fill the awkward silence in the room. I don't really know what to say to them and they sure as hell don't know what to say to me, so this provides a nice distraction.

After a while I get tired, and even though I'm apprehensive about staying in the hospital alone, I tell Mr. Tomlinson and Harry to go home and rest. It's about six in the morning now.

They wish me well before heading off and promising to visit soon.

Little did they know, that promise would be difficult to keep.

A/N: Posted in honor of 420 votes lol and b/c I feel evil for not updating in so long... aaaah don't hate me. Also sorry this is kinda short, I've got a good chunk of the sequel planned out and trust me guys we're getting close to it and I'm so pumped but I just need to finish this one off :)