Chapter 11-No Return

Elizabeth POV

I arrive at Alana's house, checking my surroundings. Abel had taken my gun back at the Observatory, and I still had my knife. I can't believe that Abel fell for that trick. I knock on Alana's door and wait for an answer. Alana opens the door and looks at me with disbelief. 

"Elizabeth, what are you doing here?" 

I sigh and say, "I need a drink, and we need to talk." 

Alana heads to her kitchen and pours me a glass of bourbon. I sit at her kitchen table, and I chug the drink. Alana sits next to me and says, 

"What's wrong?"

I look at Alana, and I don't know where to begin. 

30 Minutes Later

"Oh, my God. How did you escape that?" Alana asks me. 

I chug down my third drink. I don't feel tipsy yet, but I am having difficulty speaking. 

"I just did. I really can't explain it, Alana. I knew that Abel was crazy, but not this crazy. He and I were making progress with his work. I never told anyone what I was doing. Not to Will, Dad, or even that insufferable know-it-all Hannibal. I kept this to myself, and I guess I thought I was mature enough to handle Abel. I guess I wasn't."

 Alana gets up from her chair and hugs me. I hug her back, relieved that she understands me. She lets me go and looks at me. 

"I understand what it feels like to be ignored, and you want to stand out for something you were able to handle. Next time that you feel like behaving like an adult, you let me know, and I'll be your mentor." Alana says to me. 

The phone suddenly rings, and Alana went to go and answer it. I set my drink down and I walk towards the window to look at the snow on the ground. I feel relaxed knowing that Alana was listening to me and that I could vent to her. My sanctuary moment was ruined when I saw someone emerge from the woods. It was Abel Gideon. My heart dropped when I saw him. I look at both Alana and Abel, fearing the decision that I need to make at that moment. I can see Alana still talking on the phone, and I seize the moment to go outside. I open the door, and I see Abel walking up towards the house. I walk down the steps and onto the lawn. Abel and I meet in the middle of the yard. 

"So, you survived," I say to Abel. 

"And you are still a thorn in my side. Tell me, do you always kiss men with such deception?" Abel asks me as he begins to walk slowly to me, trying to intimidate me. 

"I did what I had to. You were merely a puppet in my ventriloquist show and you were so gulliable." I respond with sarcasm. 

Abel produces my gun and aims at me while I take my knife out. 

"Huh. Do you know that you never bring a knife to a gunfight?" Abel tells me. 

I smirk and say, "Fuck you, Dr. Gideon." 

Abel then shoots at me, and I duck to the ground. I rush over to Gideon and push him to the ground. We wrestle for the gun, and I finally yank it from Abel's hands. The weapon is flung over to the left side of the lawn. Abel places his thumb in my wound from the bullet, and I scream. I then decide to bite Abel's wrist. I sink my teeth into his bony wrist, and I hear Abel's bloodcurdling scream. I then bring his head to mine and headbutt him. I feel fuzzy from my head, but I don't care. I need to subdue him as much as I can. I leave Abel and look for the gun, but he grabs onto my feet, and I fall into the snow. Abel again tries to mount on top of me and strangle me. I take my knife and stab Gideon in the arm. I even slash part of Abel's throat, but there was no damage. I finally then stab Gideon in the chest and drag the knife while it was in the chest. Abel screamed, and I pushed him away. I can get to the gun, but Abel has the jump on me, and he steps on my wrist. I scream in pain, and Abel points the gun at me. We're both panting and out of breath. 

"Now, any last words before I end your miserable and depressing life?" Abel asks me, breathlessly. 

I catch my breath and say, "Yes. Go fuck yourself, and I'll see you in hell."

 With that, Abel is about to pull the trigger, and I hear gunshots. Abel falls next to me. I gasp in horror and lookup. It was Will Graham who shot Abel. Despite what has happened, I quickly check Abel's pulse. He's still alive. I turn him over and prop him upwards. Despite what he tried to do to me, I still have to ensure his return to prison. Abel opens his eyes and chuckles, 

"After all this time, you still care for me?" 

I sigh and say, 

"This is professional, you jackass. I need to make sure you return alive so you can pay for your crimes." 

Abel smiles and grabs my hand. I hold his hand as I wait for the EMS to arrive. Though we have a mutual hatred for each other, Abel and I have the relationship you see with fictional characters such as Sherlock Holmes and Professor James Moriarty and Batman and Joker. Yes, I compared myself to Batman. Our relationship was hard to understand, and I knew there would be no return to normalcy once he and I were bound through this trauma. It would be a whirlwind rollercoaster from here on out.