Chapter 38-Hannibal's Dinner

Elizabeth POV
"I can't believe that's what Jimmy and Brian are saying," Andrew tells me as he gives me a bag from Burger King.

"Look, I will not eat anything from Hannibal's home. The rumor that Brian and Jimmy are telling me is that the organs that have been taken from multiple victims, including Beverly, are being eaten by the Chesapeake Ripper. If Hannibal is the Chesapeake Ripper, I don't want to risk eating human remains."

Andrew and I lock the car door and begin chowing down on a Burger King meal. Andrew gave me extra napkins so I wouldn't ruin my dress. Hannibal's dinner party is tonight, and Andrew and I plan to infiltrate it. After eating the fries, Andrew and I got one last drink refill, and we then drove to Hannibal's house.

As we pulled into the driveway, we noticed that there were many people at the event. I didn't know Hannibal had any friends. We park our car and head to the front door. A man answers the door and points us to where the party is. As Andrew and I walk toward the main room, I see Hannibal with Alana and several other guests. One of the servers offered Andrew and me some wine, but we declined. Hannibal hired an orchestra to play some classical music for his guests. It was an exquisite event, and I would be impressed if I didn't hate the guy so much.

"Elizabeth! Andrew!"

We both turn around and see Jack and Chilton. Both men walk up to Andrew and me.

"We saw you walk in. Elizabeth, you look beautiful as always." Jack says to me, and Chilton nods in agreement

"Thank you so much. I appreciate the sentiment, but I must ask why you two are here." I reply curtly.

"We're here to investigate Hannibal and his dealings. And you two?" Jack asks me.

"Same thing. You do your thing, and we'll do ours. Interfere with our investigation, and we'll fuck you up." Andrew sternly says.

I was taken aback. This is the first time I ever heard Andrew talk back to Jack; I'm not going to lie; I was turned on. Jack and Chilton walk away to mingle with the other guests, and so do Andrew and me.

"Wow, Andrew. I didn't think that you had it in you."

Andrew smiles and says,

"No one will ever disrespect you like that. Not while I'm around."

Music began to play, and Andrew led me to the dance floor. I was scared because it had been a while since I danced. I was nervous that I could trip and fall in these stupid heels I was wearing or miss a step and step on Andrew's feet. I then hear Andrew whispering to me.

"Look at me. Relax. We'll be okay. I'll hold you."

Andrew holds me, and we begin to sway to the music. Andrew twirls me, and I hold steady. I smile as I feel free and loved when Andrew holds me. We dance for a few more minutes. As Andrew and I danced, I saw Hannibal talking to Jack. For some reason, I see Jack with a to-go box and placing Hannibal’s food in the box. Typically, Jack would eat what Hannibal would serve him, but something was different. Hannibal even looked concerned about Jack taking some food. Did Jack and I have the same suspicion? The music stops, and the crowd goes towards the middle, where Hannibal makes a short speech.

"Thank you, everyone, for being here. It was disturbing being on the other end of a killer's weapon. When I hold onto a knife, it's because I'm performing surgery."

The acolytes laughed at Hannibal's joke while Andrew and I just stared at Hannibal. The joke didn't make sense, but the group laughed.

"It wasn't just me who suffered and had to deal with immense trauma; it is also my dear colleague, Elizabeth Crawford."

My heart sank as I heard my name being called. Everyone then turned to look at me. I could see Hannibal pointing at me. He then begins to walk towards me.

"Elizabeth also suffered at the hands of this treacherous monster. She was shot and injured but has overcome her obstacle and is now a walking miracle."

Hannibal then begins to clap his hands, and so do the other guests. My face begins to burn. I didn't appreciate how Hannibal thrust me into the spotlight and had every one of his guests applauding for me. What happened next was probably the worst moment in my life.

"Ms. Crawford, will you do me the honor of dancing with me?"