Chapter 28-Stress Can Kill

Elizabeth POV

Monday Morning

Despite the results coming back as Andrew Sykes's body mounted on the stag, the judge went ahead and had the court proceeding. After meeting with the judge, Jack and Kade Purnell had to wait to see the new defense take. Andy and I went back to the courthouse, where it was now Chilton's turn to testify. Despite my acquaintance with Chilton, I know that he wouldn't lie on the stand for Will or me. 

"Will Graham manifests publicly as an introverted personality. He would like us to believe he places on the spectrum somewhere near Asperger's and autism. Yet he also claims an empathy disorder." 

Prosecutor Vega then approaches Chilton and says, 

"You choose your words carefully, Dr. Chilton. You chose the word 'claims'". 

Chilton stares intently at Vega and says, 

"Will Graham has never been diagnosed. He will not allow anyone to test him. He has carefully constructed a persona to hide his real nature from the world. He wears it so well that even Jack Crawford could not see past it."

Vega then asks, 

"But you did?" 

"Mr. Graham and I had no personal relationship for him to manipulate. I have objectively examined him and the crimes that of which he is accused. These murders were measured and controlled. The confused man that Will Graham presents to the world could not commit those crimes, because that man is a fiction." 

Vega then asks, 

"So, you discount the encephalitis he was suffering as a cause?"

"He managed his illness with the help of his neurologist, whom he murdered for his trouble."

My blood was boiling. The thought of killing both Vega and Chilton was running rampant in my head. My God, what am I thinking of? I've never had views like this. I began to pay attention to what Vega was saying. 

"Is Will Graham an intelligent psychopath?" 

"There is not yet a name for whatever Will Graham is. He kills methodically, and I believe would kill again, given the opportunity." Chilton replies. 

"Thank you, Dr. Chilton," Vega says. 

I couldn't take it anymore. I motion to Andy that I have to step outside of the courtroom for some air. Andy offered to follow me, and I signaled that I was okay. I immediately step out into the hallway and sit on a bench. I begin to breathe in and out. My heart was pounding in my ears, and I could hear Chilton's testimony in my head, echoing. I felt like I was having an anxiety attack. Tears were slowly falling from my eyes. My heart felt overwhelmed. My anxiety would become worse when I heard, 

"Hello, Elizabeth."

I look up from the floor, seeing Hannibal standing before me. I groaned while rubbing my hands against my forehead and saying, 

"Please, Hannibal, I'm in no mood to argue with you."

Hannibal chuckled and said, 

"I wasn't going to argue. I merely saw you leave. What's wrong? Did Chilton strike a nerve with you?" 

The pounding went from my ears to my head. I felt out of breath, like I was about to lose consciousness. I began to plead with Hannibal, and I said, 

"Hannibal, I'm begging you. Just stop-"

I then fell to the floor, my vision becoming blurry. I could faintly see Hannibal rushing to pick me off the floor and pick me up in his arms. I could faintly hear the scuffling of shoes, and then, my vision cut to black. 

Later That Day

"Elizabeth? Elizabeth, wake up. Please, wake up."

My eyes were fluttering to see who was talking to me. It was Hannibal. He was sitting next to me. I study my surroundings, and I know that I am in a hospital. I groaned and mumbled, 

"Oh, fuck. What happened to me?"

Hannibal rises from the chair and stands next to me. 

"The doctors think you were overwhelmed from the trial. Stress can give you a heart attack, my dear. You shouldn't worry your little head over ridiculous things."

I shift myself on the bed to sit in an upright position. My body feels like I've been run over with a bus. I groan and say to Hannibal, 

"Stop telling me what to do. You're not my father."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. It was Jack and Andy. Andy rushed close to me and kissed me. Andy then asks me, 

"What happened, love? Why did you pass out?" 

Hannibal snickers and says, 

"Yes, love. Tell Andy and your father what happened to you."

I roll my eyes and repeat what had occurred to me to both Andy and Jack. Shortly, the doctor came to see me and prescribed me some anti-anxiety medication. It was Ativan. I groaned softly. I hated medicines like this. I'm scared it'll numb my mind, but I fake a smile and agree to take them. I'll probably store them away and forget about them. Shortly, I was released, but because I was a fall risk, I was discharged from the hospital in a wheelchair. Andy pushed my wheelchair, and Jack went to retrieve the car. Hannibal followed Andy and me to see if we could get into the car. Andy then takes my things to the car and leaves me with Hannibal. I look at Hannibal and say to him, 

"I guess I owe you for taking me to the hospital. I appreciate your help." I say to Hannibal. 

I extend my hand to shake his hand, but instead, Hannibal helps me to my feet out of the wheelchair. 

"It was no trouble. I'm glad I was able to help a damsel in distress."

I scoff and say, 

"I'm no damsel in distress, and you should know that by now."

Hannibal inches so close to me that I can feel his breath on my face. 

"Remember what I told you: I am a powerful man, and my influence can go a long way. Stop what you are doing, and I'll leave you and Andy alone. Continue to fight against my will, and I can make your life so difficult; you're going to wish that you weren't born. You will always be looking over your shoulder, wondering when I'll strike next."

Hannibal looks up to see that Andy is walking toward us. He says his goodbyes and walks towards the covered garage. Why is he the way he is? There is something else going on, and I have to get to the bottom, even if it kills me. This one episode of a fainting spell cannot drag me for long. Once Will is proven innocent, I'll be able to focus more on what Hannibal is hiding. I didn't expect this trial would take the biggest twist of them all, and I would be caught right in the middle of it. 

Life of LiesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara