Chapter 49-The Verger Mansion

Elizabeth POV

Because of the holiday season, I had planned to take some time away from the Bureau and focus on my studies. Even though I had been accepted into the Ph.D. program, I still had much to prove. Occasionally, my mind felt overwhelmed, and I needed a break from my work. Today, I decided to drive into town and go to a bookshop to look for something new to read. It's the small things that make me feel content with my life. I park my car and head to The Literary Bar. It's a bookstore where they sell books, movies, vinyl records, and coffee. As I perused through the true crime section of the store, I saw some books that attracted my attention. After glancing at the front and end covers, I headed to the vinyl records section. I see some vinyl records of movie soundtracks, and upon my discovery, I saw the record for the 1986 movie Labyrinth. I immediately grab it and hold onto it for dear life. I searched for this album since it is my favorite 80's flick. After paying for my merchandise and purchasing hot chocolate, I returned to my car to place my items in the backseat. Suddenly, I heard a car screeching. I turn around and see a car speeding towards the street. I then notice a man walking across the street with headphones in his ears, not paying attention to his surroundings. I immediately ran towards the man and tackled him to the ground. The car had almost hit both the man and me. Both the man and I are out of breath. I got up from the ground and extended my hand to the man. He looked at me for a moment with disgust and then gratitude. He took my hand, and I picked him up. He dusted his coat from the gravel he had stuck on his jacket.

"I guess you'd want a reward or something?" The man says arrogantly

"No, a simple 'thank you' would suffice. I mean, I saved your life and the city officials from scrapping your roadkill self from the streets. It's alright. I don't live off 'thank you's' and 'you're welcomes'." I answer back with sass.

The man's countenance changed. It looks like he liked my sass. A small smile came on his face. As I walked away, I felt a hand touch my arm. It was the man. He began to talk clumsily.

"Please forgive me. I didn't mean to come off as rude. I've been having a bad day- more like a bad decade. I don't mean any harm to you. Please, let's start again. Thank you for saving my life. Hello, my name is Mason Verger, and I'd like to thank you for tackling me like a cop to save my life. I want to repay the favor by inviting you to my home for dinner and writing you a check."

Mason extended his hand, and I shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Mason Verger. I'm Elizabeth Crawford, and I'd like to accept your invitation to dinner. The check does sound tempting, but I couldn't take your money."

Mason chuckled and said to me,

"I have plenty of money to give away. Let me get your information, and I can pick you up tonight. Please, it's the least that I can do. Look, to show that I bear no ill intentions, you may bring with you one person. Does that sound fair?"