Chapter 36-Recovery

Elizabeth POV

I was recovering from the wound in my shoulder. I was on bed rest for at least two weeks. It was only a gunshot to the shoulder, and everyone suddenly thought I could not function. I won't lie; having Andrew with me and having him catering to me was lovely. This situation has made Andrew and I bond. Today, Andrew is taking me to physical therapy for my left arm. Today is my last day. I'm doing well with treatment, but many questions were on my mind. I was still trying to wrap my head around what had occurred. Why did Matthew feel it necessary to go and kill Hannibal? Did Will want Hannibal dead?

"Okay, Ms. Crawford. How are you doing today?" My therapist, Jenna, asks me.

"I'm feeling okay so far. I can move my arm and grab items if I need to. The pain has subsided to a four instead of a ten. I think I'm doing better, but I know the term 'better' is more for you to tell me instead."

Jenna sighs and says to me,

"You are doing well but must take it slow if you ask me. Your birthday is around the corner. I know you think you're young and can handle it, but you are trying to carry the world's weight on your shoulders, and you don't have to. Think about your mental and physical health. Return in six weeks, and we'll see how you handle stress."

Jenna gave me a doctor's note and sent me on my way. Andrew waited for me in the lobby. As we were getting ready to leave, I got a text from Alana. Hannibal is throwing a party the following evening, and Hannibal has extended the invitation to Andrew and me.

"You want to go, El?" Andrew asks me.

"I don't want to, but I want to. All the crap he did to me, and people still act like he's a heavenly saint." I reply.

Andrew chuckles and says,

"Well, you still have until tomorrow. I need to head back to the office to grab something. Do you want to come along?"

"Yea, just as long I don't have to do any work. I'm still away from work until next week."

FBI Building

I walk into the bureau with Andrew, heading toward Andrew's new office. Since Beverly died, I haven't stepped into her old office. I was always scared to. I figured they had already cleaned it out, but no one had done so far. I open Beverly's door. I can still smell her perfume that lingered. I can still imagine her laughing when she and I would make jokes. I sit at Beverly's desk and run my hands across her desk. I can still imagine Beverly writing official reports of the multiple cadavers we would receive. The image of Beverly cutting into slices of meat as if she wasn't even human rushed to my head, and I began to cry. I angrily hit the desk. I felt hopeless and useless. I need to find Beverly's killer. Her family needs to have peace. It was then that I felt something on my foot. I looked down, and there was an envelope with tape. It must have fallen from the bottom of the desk. The envelope had my name on it. Before I open it, I close the office door and lock it. I open the envelope and see unused bullets from a Glock 17 and a USB flash drive. I open Beverly's computer and place the USB in the slot. Immediately, a message flashes on the screen that says, 'PLAY ME.' I press play, and I wait. I see Beverly sitting in a chair and looking straight at the camera.

"Hi, Elizabeth. You're probably wondering why I am making this recording. Well, I have a bright idea, and I decided that I'm going to search Dr. Hannibal Lecter's home for evidence. If you find my body, I want you to know I am going to Hannibal's home dressed like this. My usual jacket and my tied in a ponytail. I'll also be taking my Glock 17 in case anything happens. I left you some bullets to do some analysis, just in case. I also left behind a surprise in the closet behind you. If anything happens to me, tell my mother I love her and the rest of my family too. I will miss our talks and our jokes. Don't let Andrew treat you like crap, and if you guys decide to stay together, I wish you all the best in the world. Thank you for being a great addition to my family. I love you like a sister and will always be with you. Keep this for evidence. You'll need it to nail that son of a bitch Lecter to the wall. See you on the other side, Belle."

The video stopped playing, and I was in shock. This changes everything that I need. Here is direct evidence that I so desperately need. I need to talk to Jimmy and Brian. Immediately.