Chapter 48-Date Day

Elizabeth POV

Some time had passed since that dreadful day that Miriam Lass shot Frederick in the face. I went to visit him in the hospital along with Andrew. During that time, I enrolled in another self-defense class. As a child, my parents stuck me in many extra-curricular activities, and I once took my dancing tights to karate class. I enrolled in Muay Thai classes since I was already a brown belt in karate, a purple belt in MMA, and one of the top five students for Krav Maga Tactical Knife defense. I even went to the gun range with Andrew on the weekends to brush up on my shooting. I still can shoot straight. Andrew made fun of me when I told him I was ready for archery classes. It was a rainy and cloudy day in Washington, DC, and Andrew wanted a “date day” with me. After a few rounds of shooting guns at the range, Andrew took me to Chinatown in DC, and we walked around until we found a restaurant called Chinatown Garden. After being shown to our seats, we ordered our sodas and appetizers. Andrew sat across from me.

“So, we finally have time for ourselves,” Andrew says.

I chuckled softly. These months have been hard on our relationship, and I have distanced myself from Andrew because I didn’t want to project my crap onto him. I’ve been through so much this past year that it feels like everything will collapse. I worried that Andrew would leave me because I was neglecting him. Luckily, Andrew understood what was occurring and continued supporting me. He and I needed this break.

“I’m glad that we’re doing this. We did need a break. I’m sorry that I wasn’t there for you. I feel so guilty and want to make it up to you.” I say to Andrew.

Andrew grabbed and kissed my hand. He smiles at me and says to me,

“I know for a fact that you will be the best damn FBI agent that has ever graced the presence of the Bureau, and you will be the one that stands out different than the rest of those stuffy and pathetic agents, not including Jimmy, Brian, and your father. I’m trying to say that I know things haven’t been easy, and we have had our ups and downs, but I am willing to stay loyal and true to you only, and nothing will ever come between us.”

We were then interrupted by the waiter placing our sodas and wonton soups with egg rolls in front of us. Andrew orders for both him and me as I dig into my soup. It was so delicious. It was then that we didn’t talk while we were eating. After a while, we finished our soups and eggrolls. Soon, our entrees were served: chicken lo mein, orange chicken, and mushroom chicken. It has been a long time since I had a big meal, and I’m glad I was with Andrew. We grabbed our chopsticks and began eating.

30 Mins Later

Andrew and I finished our meals and just sat in our chairs to try to digest our feast slowly. Andrew gave the waiter his card and some extra cash as a tip. Andrew and I gathered our messenger bags, and we left the restaurant. Andrew and I walked on the sidewalk and continued to talk. He was attentive and listened to my day, studies, and work. For a moment, I forgot about Hannibal and the other stressful troubles in my life. After walking for what seemed like forever, we found a Starbucks where we could rest our weary feet. Andrew ordered coffee and dessert and saw a nice, snug booth. Andrew and I continue our conversation. I can’t remember what was said, but I was giggling and laughing. It had been a while since I last laughed. Everything that was hurting me had engulfed me in hatred and anger. My fight with Dad, Mom’s near suicide attempt, me almost dying twice, and losing my best friend. It was like my troubles melted away with Andrew. As we continued talking, it felt like I could hear my troubles lifting away. I didn’t know how different my life would be after making the wrong decision to follow a trail of breadcrumbs that would eventually alter my perception of life and everything I taught myself.