34

The tears that I had been holding back flowed freely. "I-I don't know. How did I do this? God, I feel so stupid."
The nurse wrapped me in a hug. "Everything is going to be just fine. Let's go get you set up for that ultrasound, okay?" I followed her blindly down the hallway, wiping tears from my face as we walked. 
"Tiffany, honey, can I ask you a few questions?"
I nodded. "Do you have someone that is going to support you through this?"
"Um, yeah. Even if my boyfriend isn't interested, I'm almost positive that my parents will be."
"Okay, honey. This is gonna be a little cold." She squeezed the jelly onto my stomach, and I winced at the chill. She stared at the screen, and eventually, she turned to look at me. "It looks as though you're about a month along."

I left the doctor's office, and when I got to the car, I sat there silently. I held the keys in my hand, putting my head against the steering wheel. I felt the tears stinging the back of my eyes, and a lump formed in the back of my throat. 
I dialed my phone and listened as it rang. "Hello?"
"Hey, girly. Is everything okay?" 
I sighed in relief as Addison's voice rang out. "Addi?"
"Yes, honey? Are you okay?"
"I don't know yet. I'm really scared, Addi," I replied, the tears leaking from the corners of my eyes. 
"Where are you?"
"I-I'm still at Urgent Care," I stuttered.
"Don't move. I'm on my way."

There was a comfort in knowing that she was there for me. We had grown closer over the last year, and I couldn't be more grateful for her friendship. A million thoughts were racing through my mind, but they were interrupted by a knock on my window. "Hey," Addison murmured.
I opened the door, and Addison's arms were opened wide, ready to wrap me in the warm embrace that she was so good at. 
"It was positive," I whispered. "I'm pregnant."
Her hands rubbed my back softly as I let the sobs loose. "You need to tell Blake. Are you okay to drive, or do you want to come back for your car later?"
"You don't mind coming back for my car later?" I asked, looking at her. 
"Of course," she said, pulling out of the hug. "Let's go."

We drove in silence. I picked at my cuticles again. At this point, they would be destroyed if I didn't find something else to take my anxiety out on. When we pulled into the driveway, I looked over at Addison. "I'm scared. What if he leaves me?"
Addison looked at me sympathetically. "After all that you two have through for the past two years? Not a chance, honey. Do you want me to have him come out to talk to you, or do you want to go inside?"
"Could you have him come outside? I don't want to do this inside where you guys might all hear me."
Addison nodded, and we both got out of the car. I sat down on the porch as she went inside. I heard the door open back up, and Blake sat down next to me, putting his arm around me.

"Addison said that you needed to talk to me. Is everything okay?" he asked. 
I sighed. "This is really important, and I need you to promise me that you won't freak out."
Blake looked at me, obviously confused. "I won't freak out. It's not like you're pregnant or something." I looked down at my lap. "You aren't pregnant, right?" When I didn't respond, Blake sighed. "What's going on, Tiffany?" 
"I went to the doctor."
"I know, Tiffany. Can you please stop beating around the bush and tell me what the hell is going on?" 
"She asked if I could be pregnant. I technically could, so I said yes." Blake looked at me as though he was putting two and two together. "I got tested, Blake."
"And it was positive," he said, phrasing it as a statement rather than a question. 
I nodded, avoiding eye contact. "I'm four weeks along."

Suddenly, his arms were wrapped around me. "We're gonna be just fine."
I sobbed into his chest. "You're not mad? I thought for sure you would be mad."
I felt Blake shake his head. "This isn't ideal, by any means, but I think that that's the best part of this life. Things happen when you least expect them, but that doesn't turn them into mistakes. Everything in this life happens for a reason. We're gonna be just fine."
There was that sentence again: we're gonna be just fine. "Did you tell your parents already?"
"No," I replied, pulling out of his embrace. "The only people that know are you, Addison, and the nurse at Urgent Care."

Blake stood up, pulling me to my feet. "Let's go. We're going to tell them right now."
I sighed, turning towards the car. Blake opened the door for me, and I got in, picking at my cuticles again. He held my hand during the short trip, muttering words of encouragement. 
"Mom! Dad! Can we talk to you guys in the living room please?" I yelled up the stairs as we walked in the front door. 
My mom came out of the kitchen as my dad bounded down the stairs. "What's up, princess?" he asked, sitting on the couch next to my mom. 
"We have something important to tell you guys, and I need you to promise me that you'll stay calm," I said, pulling Blake down to sit next to me on the loveseat across from my parents.
"Why would we freak out?" Mom asked. 
I looked at Blake, and he nodded his encouragement, easing my anxiety. "Mom, Dad, I'm pregnant."
My dad buried his face in his hands, and my mom's face fell. "That's not a funny joke, Tiffany," my mom said.
Tears filled my eyes. "Do you really think that I would joke about something like this? I've been terrified all day." Blake's hand on my back gave me a sense of security. "I need you guys to be there for me."