4

"You Sway boys never stop with the besties and sisters, do you?" Fletcher joked.
I chuckled. I never kept up entirely with the drama that the Sway boys got themselves into, but Addison and I had been acquaintances, and sister had always been Bryce's go-to excuse. Noah and Dixie had been featured on tiktokroom a lot recently for saying that they were 'just a couple of besties,' but everyone knew better.
"Trust me," Blake began, "we're just hanging out right now." His hand was on my waist, so anyone with a brain could analyze our body language and know that there was no way that we were just 'besties.'
"I get it," Fletcher said. "Is there anything that you can tell me about you guys hanging out?"
I shrugged. "We go out to eat together. That's pretty much it, Fletcher."
Fletcher nodded knowingly. "Got it. You guys enjoy your lunch."

Blake and I walked into the restaurant, sitting at a table near the door. "Alright, so how do you think we're doing?" he asked.
"I think we're doing okay. We've got people talking, and that was one of Sean's main goals for us. Let's keep it up. I'm gonna post a TikTok of you right now," I replied, pulling out my phone. I took a quick video, adding a popular sound and simply adding his username as the caption.
Blake followed my lead, taking a video of my happy dance when our food arrived. Our notifications were both blowing up. "I'm kind of surprised that this is working," Blake said, taking a bite of his sandwich.
I laughed. "I'm not. This kind of thing happens with every influencer that refuses to answer whether or not they are in a relationship. It's the perfect way to get out of a rut."
"I guess that makes sense, but I've never seen it in action before."
My phone rang. "It's Sean."

I answered the call quickly, putting him on speaker. "Hey, Sean. I'm with Blake. You're on speaker."
"Hey, kids," Sean greeted us. "How are things going?"
Blake spoke up. "Really well. How are things looking from your end?"
Sean chuckled. "You guys didn't waste any time in taking my advice, and I appreciate that. You guys are doing really well. Keep it up. Only a few more weeks of this, okay?"
Blake and I thanked him before hanging up.

"He said that we're doing well. That's good," Blake observed.
I nodded, slightly hurt, but not letting on. "Yeah. We won't have to deal with each other for much longer."
"If this really works for us," Blake began, "then we don't have to stop. I mean, we'll have to make sure that we keep people talking, but on-and-off relationships tend to be the talk of social media."
Was he catching feelings too? Were we really having that much fun together? I nodded in agreement. "You're right. That's why Braddison works so well, right?"
We finished up our lunch, and I decided to take care of the bill in return for dinner last night.

The ride back to Sway to pick up my car was silent. "Hey," Blake said, turning the key in the ignition. "Do you want to maybe hang out for a little bit? We got to know each other a little bit last night, but I think that we should really be settled in on who each of us is. We don't want to get questioned about things and not know the answers. It'll be easier to talk if we don't have to worry about anyone watching us."
His tone was nervous, so this didn't feel like just another step in the plan. Without thinking, I agreed. "Sure, why not? Can't hurt anything."
The smile on his face was reassuring. I followed him inside the house, and he led me up the stairs and into his room.

"You can sit wherever," he said, pulling his t-shirt over his head with one hand. I felt myself staring as I sat in his desk chair and looked away quickly.
Blake noticed and chuckled softly before laying on the bed. "So, we talked about me yesterday. Tell me about you."
"Oh, okay," I stammered. "I was born and raised in Texas, same as you. I got my start on Musical.ly, and I moved here a few months ago."
Blake interrupted me. "You were a Muser, too? No way."
I nodded, chuckling. "Yes, way. What else do you want to know?"

Blake looked at me thoughtfully. "If you weren't an influencer, what would you be?"
"Hey, you didn't tell me that yesterday," I protested jokingly. "Kidding. I think that I would be a teacher. I always wanted to be one when I was little."
"I like that. I think that you would be a really great teacher."
I looked at him. "You think so?"
He nodded. "I've watched your content with your little brother. You're a natural."
I looked at him again. "You watch my content?"
"Yeah," he said shyly.
"Why?"
"I've always thought that you were cute. Even in fourth grade. It broke my heart when you decided that you hated me."
I looked at him again. "You're not joking? Can I tell you a secret?" He nodded. "I've always thought that you were cute, too."
Blake laughed. "I love that."

Blake and I continued talking for what felt like hours. How was this person that I was so convinced that I hated so easy to talk to? "Wanna watch a movie?" he asked. I nodded. He grabbed the remote, settling into the bed. I stayed in his desk chair. "I don't bite. You can sit over here with me. I don't bite."
I chuckled, deciding to cross the room and sit with him. He patted the space next to him, and I nestled myself into the crook of his arm. His arm was strong and made me feel safe and secure. We sat in silence as I absentmindedly watched whatever movie he had turned on. I knew that I should focus on it, but I couldn't ignore what was happening. Was this just another fling to him, or were we going to move past the dating publicity stunt?