Ch 5: Two Small Steps Forward, One Giant Leap Back

Olivia didn't let the threat stop her. She still went to work every day and performed the best she could. Alastor acted like nothing had happened and why would he? He did nothing except make a statement that this Hotel was under his jurisdiction, even if it was technically owned by the Princess and she could respect that. Throughout the next two months, Alastor showed her all the recipes and even let her cook fully by herself. She got to know the rest of the staff, slow as it was. She had become close to Charlie and Vaggie, who she figured out were a couple. She couldn't stop herself from being drawn to Charlie. Her upbeat attitude and all around charm was a magnet. During her mid afternoons off, Charlie, Vaggie and herself would always meet. Either for lunch, to go shopping for hotel decor or just gossip. Olivia learned that on Friday and Saturday nights, the Hotel hosted live shows to everyone in the nightclub, not just guests. They usually had a decent turnout of about 20-30 demons and most of the time it was a singer who performed. Now and then they would have a comedian, much to Alastor's delight, and sometimes a magic show, which Husker thoroughly enjoyed. They were still looking for a full-time singer though. Most of the singers came and went, but none of them sang well enough to keep a gig here. Charlie gave Olivia a warning one afternoon about working with Alastor.

"Once he's gotten somewhat comfortable with you, you will notice things."

Olivia raised a brow. "Things? What things?"

Charlie smirked and wiggled her eyebrows. Vaggie smacked her in the arm.

"She means he will start pulling pranks. He does it to Husker constantly."

Charlie smiled and shrugged. "It's funny sometimes, but since you're working with him daily, thought I should warn you."

Olivia smirked and her eyes narrowed. "Well, good thing I also love pranks, but I'll wait until he pulls one first before I retaliate. Don't want to push my luck."

Charlie nodded.

"That's probably a good idea. So," Charlie leaned towards Olivia. "Is there any demon that caught your eye while you have been down here?"

Olivia blinked and scoffed.

"No. I don't think there ever will be someone. Not interested in being with anyone in that regard." Olivia looked into her drink and a small sad smile creeped its way onto her face.

Charlie and Vaggie looked at each other with confusion and worry.

"Did something happen when you were alive?" Charlie reached across the table and placed her hand on Olivia's.

Olivia flinched away, then looked apologetic towards Charlie.

"You could say that." Olivia turned away and gave a huge hint to drop the subject. Thankfully, Vaggie took the hint. Unfortunately, Charlie did not.

"Did someone hurt you? Someone you loved?"

Olivia stood up suddenly.

"Oh, look at the time. I should head to the kitchen to start supper. Thanks for the talk, I'll see you later." Olivia swiftly walked away before the girls could say anything.

She didn't want to be rude, but she was trying to forget that she was ever alive. She was shaking slightly as she briskly walked down the hallway. She needed to calm herself before Alastor arrived to start supper. She entered the kitchen and saw the clock read 330pm. It's Friday, so Alastor would be there at 4, so she had a half hour to calm her nerves. She placed both her hands on the island and took five deep breaths.

When she looked up, she saw a radio on a shelf in front of her. Music always comforted her so she turned it on and found a station. Music filtered through the speakers throughout the kitchen.