Ch 40: Bonds Forged and Burned

Summary: Can Olivia get past this next obstacle in the Arena and can Angel fix his oldest friendship?

Olivia's heart was beating so rapidly that she swore it was about to burst out of her chest. Her hands shook uncontrollably, forcing her to drop her spear. It clattered loudly against the cracked cement, echoing in the large building along with her short gasping. She could hear Alice's voice behind her, but it was muffled by the roaring sound of her blood coursing through her ears. His eyes never ceased to stop her cold, gripping her with absolute fear.

"You're not real." Olivia whispered. "You can't be."

"No?" Reginald's lips turned up into a wider smirk. "Then, how am I standing here? You truly are a stupid little kitten, aren't you?"

Olivia whimpered as the creature matched Reginald's tone and inflections perfectly, causing another wave of anxiety to course through her.

"That fear in your eyes is as erotic as ever." His hand reached out and caressed her short hair, almost fondly. "To bad about your hair. You are much more beautiful and worthy with longer hair. You looks like an ugly stray now."

Alice grunted as she tried to sit up, but her shoulder howled in protest. Olivia had helped her with the last one, now it was her turn to help, but how could she?

"Miss Olivia! It isn't him! You know it isn't!" Alice called on deaf ears. Olivia shook, but remained standing, frozen to the core.

Alice didn't know what to do as she watched the creature's hand brush down the side of Olivia's face and caress her collarbone.

"Now, I shall punish you for leaving me. Unless, you wish to end it here? End it now so you won't have to endure my touch anymore." The creature's hand trailed lower until it reached her breast, cupping it gently.

Tears fell down Olivia's cheeks. Could she end it again? Permanently this time? She had thought about it when she had first arrived, but what had stopped her? There was something that was keeping her here. Someone.

"Promise me!"

Alastor's face flashed in her mind, jarring her out of her fearful trance.

"No!" Olivia cried and sent a fist into the creature's face. The head turned, but the body didn't move.

It slowly turned back to her and smiled wider. It gripped her wrist and twisted her arm harshly, pinning it behind her back and forcing her to bend unnaturally. She cried out, unable to move as she felt a hand skim over her back, under her shirt.

"Still so soft, just like I remembered." The creature hummed, laughing menacingly.

Olivia sobbed hard. Was this going to happen again? In front of the entire realm too?

'No, someone! Please help me!' Olivia screamed in her head, knowing that saying it out loud was futile.

Just as the hand reached the clasp of her bra, darkness filled the room. A familiar static filled her ears along with the sound of flesh ripping and tearing. The grip on her arm relinquished it's hold and she fell to all fours. She tried to see what was happening, but the darkness was to thick. A scream echoed throughout the room and then died off.

The darkness receded and Olivia gasped. Standing right in front of her was Alastor, but he was covered head to toe in shadow with wisps coming off of him like smoke. He had no features except his eyes. Those crimson eyes she loved so dearly glared viciously at the creature masquerading as Reginald. His grin widened as the creature wriggled, trying to escape the hand around it's throat.

Vox slammed down his fist on the railing and let out a furious scream as he stood at the 2nd floor balcony, overlooking the control room for the Arena. The imps under him on the main floor that were working behind the scenes of the Arena coward in their seats.